Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Okay to trim back sedums now to keep shorter

Posted by summerstar Z7VA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 1, 08 at 16:03

I'm wondering about trimming down sedums now to get shorter stalks on three two-year old Black Jacks. They grew pretty tall and think they'd look better shorter.

I remember reading on this site that you can trim sedum back, probably in half, and still get blooms in the fall. If I'm remembering right, the person posting said you could trim them back till June and still have flowers.

Can you verify if this is right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Okay to trim back sedums now to keep shorter

I just checked the Brooklyn Botannical Garden site...
Once the new growth of sedum is up, to prevent later flopping give them a cutback once or twice in May or June. New foliage will regenerate in a few weeks. Shouldn't be much, if any, delay in blooming - VA has a long growing season.

You can also propagate the sedums from your cuttings, too. With a 6" cutting off the top of a sedum, strip off the lower leaves, and cut the remaining leaves in half and plop in the ground. Must be even easier than that to propagate since I've gotten a couple of volunteers from just unnoticed broken leaves sitting on the soil.

o

Thanks very much for your quick reply. I'll check out the Brooklyn Botanical site myself. I'm supposing they will bloom okay after the trimming otherwise they wouldn't suggest it. Thanks again.

o

I am in PA zone 5 and cut back all my sedums by half a week ago. I do it by the end of May every year. Bloom time doesn't seem to be affected by more than a week or so if at all. Keeps them shorter with no flopping. You will have 2 new branches come out of each cut end resulting in slightly smaller flower heads but twice as many as you would have had if you did not cut them.

o

Thanks to you both. I'll trim them back this week and maybe try propagating them too as suggested. They're about 10-12" high right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here