Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Beautiful Double Bloodroot

I colleague of mine sent me a picture from her garden of what I found out was Sanguinaria canadensis "Multiplex" ("Double Bloodroot").

What a stunner! (Here it is from a few weeks ago)

{{gwi:239244}}

Well I guess I was so effusive in my praise of the photo that lucky me, she brought me a 'piece' of her plant.

Please tell me how it does in your garden.

Comments (30)

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Picture: Merlin's Hollow (May 10, 2014).

Rouge, David gave us some about five years ago. I don't think it spreads as quickly as single bloodroot, but it's quite hardy and very reliable here.

I'd say we get more show from our trilliums than from the single blood root. On the other hand, I'd say the double bloodroot really is an impressive plant.

• illinoisdoglover
    9 years ago

I grow the single flowering bloodroot, but have been trying to find someone that would be willing to trade. If interested, send me an email. Thank You.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

Rouge, the single definitely bulks up more quickly, but the double is absolutely gorgeous! One of my favorite spring plants.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

""SWOON>> That double is spectacular!

I adore bloodroot! Why they don't grow in my garden is beyond me. I have tried so many times. They will return for a year or two and then disappear. I had so many roots I got from someone through the mail one year I shared some with my next-door neighbor, and she planted them around her patio. I now have none while she has a buttload...go figure. Only thing I think it might be is the chipmunks or voles eat the rhizomes, because I don't notice any when I'm digging in areas I've planted them. She has multiple cats; no varmit in its right mind, even if it is a tiny mind, would hang out next to her patio leisurely munching on bloodroot with those fat cats moseying around...

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

Oh....man, double bloodroot! Someone actually has double bloodroot!! SWOON is right! I have only seen it in a book!!! DROOLING!!! Lucky you to get a piece of it.

I only have single bloodroot that a friend gave me a few years ago. It is slowly multiplying.

Where are you folks located? How did she get hold of double bloodroot to begin with? Curiosity is killing me. :-)

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    9 years ago

WOW!

• Marie Tulin
    9 years ago

Gardenvisions sells it. They are a very small epimedium speciality nursery in western ma. They have open weekends a couple times a year and sell at selected 'botanical events' in the spring.
    Shame on me for forgetting the full name of the new owner (Karen), but she's carrying on the business started by Daryl Probst. He has most recently gained recognition with his new coreopsis strains. But he is first and foremost- for us older gardeners- the epimedium guru.
    Gardenvisions does mail order.Don't know if the window has closed or if they even ship the bloodroots.
    idabean/marie

• illinoisdoglover
    9 years ago

Is there no one interested in trading? They are worth a nice size trade. email me thru my email, can not respond thru GW mail.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I love both my single and my double bloodroot. The single blooms very early for me and the double a bit later. I got one double bloodroot from the MN Arboretum at their spring sale in 2011. It is slowly expanding.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

That is gorgeous...and surpasses single (and I don't feel that way about many dbl flowers)

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

As some know, 'Multiplex' has an interesting horticultural history.

Although there are partially-double/ semi-double forms of bloodroot, only the fully double one can be called 'Multiplex'.

H. Lincoln Foster's research, published in the Connecticut Plantsman (1975), doesn't seem to be disputed; namely, that all 'Multiplex', grown in all gardens, comes from a single plant, discovered in Dayton, Ohio, in 1917.

It seems hard to believe.

This post was edited by SunnyBorders on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 23:12

• Marie Tulin
    9 years ago

Garden Visions does carry it for only $18, and is shipping through June. Then you have to wait till September to order.
    Remember the post on the demise of local nurseries? This tiny one is a labor of love and the plants are excellent quality.In addition to about 150 epimediums they have a limited number of other wildflowers, some of which I've never seen listed anywhere else.They are at the very end of the on line catalogue, so scroll down if you don't want to get sidetracked by the epimediums.
    Marie

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    9 years ago

Edelweiss Perennials also carries it (also $18) as does Plant Delights (for $28!)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

I want to second the quality of Garden Visions plants and the customer service of this tiny nursery.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

I've ordered many times from Garden Visions for their extensive collection of epimediums and have always been quite happy with the experience.

• shadeyplace
    9 years ago

this is a wonderful plant the leaves become very large and remain most of the summer unlike the single. If you want to increase>>just cut those red tubers in half or more and replant.

• ninamarie
    9 years ago

It spreads so quickly and voraciously, I'd almost call it thuggish. It's growth far outstrips the single form. All in all, it's a very nice plant. The flowers and foliage persist for a much longer time than the single form, and I assume that's what makes it such a good grower.
    The high prices are unjustified, considering it's growth rate.

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

No kidding?! Great. My single spreads very, very slowly. I just placed an order for 5 'Multiplex' yesterday. I hope to see them bloom before we sell this house.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ninamarie some reports say that it is slow to expand (but faster than the single version)...weird.

The price can be crazy as I saw it the other day at an independent nursery for almost $50!

• illinoisdoglover
    9 years ago

Amazing the different opinions on this plant. One says that it is a slow grower yet some say it spreads so fast. Probably because they may not be growing in the correct conditions. I know one can purchase just about any type of plant from a nursery/grower somewhere, but like most of the plant traders on this site and others, we like to trade plants. In my opinion, it is not that much more rarer than a lot of perennials some of us have in our garden collections. .It has not gone extinct or is not a invasive plant that gardeners should not be spreading around. Just have not gone out of my way to purchase it. Just need someone that is willing to "Share" in exchange for something else. I understand some gardeners do not want other folks to have some rare or unusual plants making their gardens "special", but I thought most gardeners are willing to "share" some of their pride and joy plants. I will keep hoping that one day, someone will have some to share/trade, and I am quite sure there are many others on this site thinking the same thing but just do not want their thoughts known. Anyway, have fun gardening and a wonderful year. The single form spreads very easily, just take a little time and being patient.

• tepelus
    9 years ago

That is a beautiful plant.

Karen

• shadeyplace
    9 years ago

I don't think it is a question of not wanting to "share". I am willing to share anything in my garden>>but not by mail. I got into that years ago on another garden site...packing up, making sure they are wet, mailing off and frequently being told they did not arrive in "good" condition. It is not worth my time...I am not a mail order nursery. Enjoy the pictures or just order one.

• illinoisdoglover
    9 years ago

shadeyplace. Sorry you had problems with folks you traded with thru the mail. I guess you must have ran across some difficult folks. I trade and send using Priority Mail, always 2-3 days, and only send early thru the week so plants do not sit at post office over the week-end. Perhaps you may have sent them to wet or too dry. Knowing how each plant grows and how the " nurseries or growers" ship, it is easy. They have to ship their plants when ordered thru the mail, but it can be confusing. I understand it is easier to share with neighbors and folks that live close by. Never meant for anyone to think we would expect you or anyone else to be a mail order nursery. Perhaps you may have sent them to wet. Good luck with your gardening and I understand about your not wanting to mail plants, it is understandable,

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    8 years ago

Awesome!! Such a stunning flower. So crisp and clean.

• posierosie_zone7a
    8 years ago

I love updates and the bloodroot is beautiful!

• mnwsgal
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Great to see your success. Mine has bulked up some so am going to try to establish it in another area near the front door.

Edited to add: saw double bloodroot for sale at the arboretum spring sale for $ 10 and almost bought some more but decided to divide my own.

• ninamarie
    8 years ago

Here it is early this week,

• ninamarie
    8 years ago

Rouge, that is a single clump of it. There are others. The largest measures about 3' wide, possibly more. It was much larger, but we took many multi-eyed divisions this year.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

3' wide! How old is that clump?