Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brit5467

Can I cut back my Shasta Daisy now?

brit5467
12 years ago

I know this needs some deadheading. That's a given. But other than that, can I cut it back hard and still get more blooms? I know some plants you can cut almost to the ground and they'll start all over again, growing up lush and full. Will this do that?

Or should I just stake it up? Can it take any kind of pruning at all at this point in the season?

As you can see by my pic, it's starting to get floppy and in my opinion, too leggy. Or maybe this is how it's supposed to look.

I realized today I have it in direct sun and tag says semi-sun. Maybe that's part of the problem. I plan to move it in the fall.

Also, we've had high 90's the past week but I've kept the garden watered as much as I can.

What would you guys do with it at this point? Thanks !!

{{gwi:239247}}

{{gwi:239248}}

Comments (15)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

to learn ....

trace down a stem from the flower head ... where each leaf is attached to the stem .... you will see a tiny, tiny bud ...

you can cut back as far as you want as long as you see a bud ... to INSURE to know where it will trigger a bud from ... just snip on the stem just above a bud ...

if you go further.. you will probably trigger unseen dormant buds ... but i always figured.. be safe and know one is there ...

do they now have double petaled shasta daisy .. or is your ID off??? .. been a long time since i did shasta ...

though it wont matter to the method ...

ken

• Nancy
    12 years ago

I think it is Shasta daisy Ice Star, I have it & love mine. I don't think I've gotten rebloom, but last year was its first full year.

• brit5467
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Ken...confused by question about tag & double petaled? Did I say something to give that impression? Need all the help I can get.

I DO get what you're saying about how to cut it. Can't look right now since it's dark, but know how you mean, I think (may be back asking MORE questions....LOL). As big as it is, I may do 'half & half' with triming like you said as well as just cutting down some stems. Experiment...LOL.

Now that I look at the tag, Ngraham...it says Margarita Darling - Darling Shasta Daisy. Can't swear on that cuz I just found this tag. Am assuming it goes with plant since I had had plant with no tag couple months ago and got you guys to identify it for me from just foliage. Was a mystery plant at that time.

And no (LOL) I haven't Googled it yet. Have found that y'alls experience far outweighs the 'statistics' I get from there...lol.

Thanks,
    Bonnie

• echinaceamaniac
    12 years ago

I have double Shasta daisy too. It's definitely that!

• brit5467
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ohhh cool. But how do you know? And does that mean I should prune it differently than Ken suggested? I'm a bit lost....lol.

12 years ago

hey

searching for buds.. is common to any plant you wish to cut back ... just a simple lesson for a newbie ... there is less fear.. if you can see what you are doing ...

past that.. it was just a curiosity as to what the plant is.. because it looks nothing like the shasta daisy's my parents grew in the 60's and 70's .. nor me.. in the 80's and 90's ..

that is not to say they havent come up with new versions..

but it is key to learning .. to actually know what plant you have ... link below to my recollection of a shasta daisy .... if you google the term .. that flower is a vast majority of the pix offered.. but there are others ... including some doubles ...

google comes up with no pix on Margarita Darling - Darling Shasta Daisy .. and Darling is a dwarf.. which is nothing like yours ... whats that all about. ...

at this point its simply a mystery .. but it is still daisy.. and the snipping rules hold ...

somewhere back down the line.. your plant started as a seed ... and it is not out of the ordinary.. that you might have some weird mutant.. no matter what the tag says ... enjoy it ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• brit5467
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ken, to be honest...I don't know for sure that IS a Shasta Daisy. Just thought so from when I posted the foliage previously, prior to it blooming, wanting to know what it was and people said Shasta. Then I found the tag in my tag collection and since it said "coarse, leathery leaves, which this had, I figured that's what it was.

Just Goggled it myself with botanical name off tag - Leucanthemum x Superbum 'Darling' Shasta Daisy and you're right....does say dwarf & gives height at 12-18". Mine's more like 30" !!!

Maybe it's an old tag from a dead plant...lol.

Whatever it is....I appreciate the help. Will definitely get out there and trim it back. Esp. with the downpour we had Friday nite, it's now laying down on the sidewalk.

Thanks all !!!!

12 years ago

all i am trying to do.. is make you learn about your plants .. and pointing out the POTENTIAL for it being misnamed...

you seem to want to learn.. carpe gardum ... lol

ken

• brit5467
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah Ken, I really do want to learn all I can !!! Thanks !!

• pippi21
    12 years ago

I just googled Double shasta daisy and it comes up on white flower farm website as Leucanthemum X Superbum "Ice Star" just like NGraham said. That's beautiful..it's going on my wish list for 2012.

• gardenfanatic2003
    12 years ago

Brit,

Yes it's a shasta daisy, and floppy plants drive me crazy too, so I understand why you want to cut it back. If it was mine, I'd whack it back to about 6 inches tall when all the blooms are spent. You might go ahead and snip off the flowers that are already spent to tidy it up a little bit in the meantime. I personally don't have the time (got too many plants) to figure out exactly where on each stem to cut. You're not going to kill it. Trust me, it will start regrowing!

Deanna

• gringo
    12 years ago

Hi Bonnie. It's a beautiful Shasta daisy cultivar that I hadn't seen before. It's now on my 'must have' list!
    I've some 'Sante' that is similar, but more yellow in the center. At first I thought it was 'Fiona Coghill'.
    I'm glad someone was able to come up with a name for it & now I know what it is also.

• roxanna
    12 years ago

it looks more like Chrysanthemum 'Ester Reed' to me. see link: http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/CSERS.html

• magan
    12 years ago

I think I can ID this one:
    Shasta Daisy 'Fiona Coghill' Leucanthemum x superbum,
    Sun to Part Shade
    Height 65-75 cm, Space 45 cm

Just bought it this Fall, still have a name tag with photo of it and it is exactly like this one. I am just Googling more info about it and came upon your page.

• brit5467
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Magan....you can't know how much it means to me for someone to "hit me back" after all this time. Haven't checked out your plant ID yet, but I don't care.....lol

I've given up on my garden (sorta)-- due to water bill expenses plus physical limitations which limit my commitment to "tending" my babies.

But just happened to step (accidently) onto this EXACT same plant today....& thought "I gotta dig it up before it gets put to death."

Soooo....kinda strange that YOU brought it to my attention. RIGHT NOW!! Kinda like a kick in the ass...tellin me to take care of my babies...lol...otherwise, they're gonna become part of my landlord's 'grass cutting' routine (chopping everything down cuz I can't maintain it).

Your post made me realize that I need to, at least, dig up the "good stuff" and pass it on somewhere else....IF I can't take care of it where it is.....

But as I looked at it all today, WITHOUT WEEDS & NO WATER REQUIREMENTS, I gotta say...I really DID want to let it all grow back next season & not give up, as I'd planned to do.

Soooo, thanks AGAIN GIRLFRIEND !!!!!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting