Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beckycrazymommy

Nepeta/ cat mint propogation

Crazymommy
9 years ago

I bought a rather large catmint plant which I divided and then took several cuttings from. I am trying to surround my herb garden with them and couldn't afford to pay for enough plants to do that. My four cuttings are now 3/4 the size of the divided plants. I'd love to do more cuttings, but was wondering how late I could do that. Perhaps I should wait until next spring.

Also, what should spacing be like?

Any thoughts?

Comments (10)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

spacing is what ever you like...

your last cutting should be done.. so that you can get them in the ground in mid fall ...

i would think.. you could cycle at least 3 or 4 more new sets of plants in that time... considering that every time.. you will have more plants.. to take more cuttings from ...

crikey.. its not even officially summer yet.. and you are thinking about it being too late ..

have no fear.. worse you can do.. is lose a set of cuttings... trust me.. they will make more for you ...

ken

• Crazymommy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. It is terribly hot here and I forget that it is not yet summer.

I was not sure how much growth that they needed to have done in order to weather the winter. I am so pleased in how well these have done. The nursery I had called to see if they had them wanted $6.99 per plant!!! This is a large circle so I would have gone broke buying plants and I was very willing to wait. :) I found one at a sale for $4.99 and now I have six.

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

Is this Nepata mussinii? If it is, have no fear. It will set seeds. You will have plenty of seedlings to spread around.

• Crazymommy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I believe it is Walker's Low.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

Walker's Low is a fairly large catmint. I'd space them about 2 1/2 ft apart. I'm also not sure what beyond rooting they will need for your winter.

Aside from the loss of your time, it is hard to see what you have to lose by continually starting cuttings. It isn't going to kill the mother plants, and if you lose some cuttings it isn't that big a loss.

Roughly how many plants do you want in the end?

• WannabeRosey
    9 years ago

I bought Walkers Low 2 years ago and now my garden is full of it. I have divided it numerous times and every one of them has done well. I have even done this in the middle of summer and they did fine. It will be droopy for a day or two, but always perks up. I'm starting to think it can't be killed

• dogg1967
    9 years ago

I have 2 large plants of Walkers Low. Both were on my deck in containers 2 years ago, then I popped them in the ground in September... they survived to become monsters. Very hardy and they bloomed for the entire summer. I can also vouch for their deer resistance as deer waltz through my garden daily, along with rabbits and my ol' buddy the groundhog. I love Nepeta!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Mine are visited by a herd of deer every day and they pass them up. They are very quick to root.

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

I am doing them myself this week - nothing easier. roots quickly, resists rotting off, piece. Do lots and have a nepeta hedge (I am doing this to replace my gnarly lavender). Might mix with salvias for the full-on aromatic experience....and the bees.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

My problem with the Nepeta Walkers low is that my cats love to nip off the bud tips carefully and judiciously. I have it growing beautifully at they garden that I take care of, but at my house, never a bloom and always a focus of careful nibbling. They make sure it grows Large.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!