Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deadheading Mums?

Posted by mumsymum USDA 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 13, 09 at 16:14

If I deadheaded my Mary Stoker Chrysanthemum that was given to me as a gift in mid-April can I expect any new blooms this summer? Is it likely that the plant will return next spring as my pompon mums have for the last couple of springs?

Thanks in advance!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deadheading Mums?

I'm in zone 6 too. I plant every mum, no matter how sorry looking I can come across. Then at Memorial day, July 4th, I cut in half to make them bushy. I propagate the part I cut off by taking off all lower leaves leaving one or two at the top. Thrust into moist dirt in a pot--or because you will have many, just into the dirt. Most take. I love mums!

o

I have always believed one should pinch until July 15th in our zone 4 and then leave to bloom in the fall. Plants should be really bushed out by then. Pinching any later in our area would risk losing the bloom to an early frost. Mary

o

Thanks so much mid tn mama and growlove. I'm a HUGE mum fan and I want to make sure that I do the right thing to encourage growth. I'll be following your advice for sure!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here