Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fragrant Echinacea?

Posted by heavenlyfarm PA 6b (free2be_any1@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 16:22

Hi,

Okay, I love fragrant big bloom perennials and I want to incorporate more into my new gardens! I love echinacea and have only had the native pink purpurea which admittedly, I have never bothered to smell lol so maybe that has fragrance as well. Anyways, Is there any varieties you guys would recommend that have a good fragrance?

I didn't even think of Echinacea til l came across 'Secret Pride' and it was described as very fragrant and bought it as an impulse buy this year! I'll be waiting to see how well it preforms and about the fragrance but I would love to incorporate more echinacea and fragrant perennials in my gardens!
Thanks
~Michael

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fragrant Echinacea?

I had 'Twilight' for several years, a lovely old rose scent. I've tried to replace it along with 'Razzmatazz' another favorite of mine but it seems it's a.... in with new and out with the older introduced varieties, flash in the pan is what comes to mind with these ones so I've given up on them altogether.

Annette

o

I actually found an older post about the "secret" series after I had purchased and planted mine with people saying they aren't as robust, care-free or lush as other older varieties. It seems they don't care about those qualities which is very important in my garden so if it doesn't do good, it will go but hopefully I'll have a beautiful fragrant plant instead next year! :) here's hoping! and Thanks Annette, I love the smell of roses :)
~michael

o

I generally use Swallowtail Garden Seeds as my barometer for Echinacea cultivars. Since they rely on happy customers to buy their seeds, it suggests they have some idea which seeds deliver the desired results.

I've given up on most of the "designer" Echinacea cultivars simply based on my own experience: even winter sown seed-grown plants don't appear to survive beyond their first season. That says 'annual' to me.

I garden to sustain pollinators so fragrance isn't high on my list of priorities. If it smells good and attracts bees, butterflies and birds, I want to grow it in my garden.

Perhaps there are other, more reliable fragrant perennials that would suit your purposes. Impulse buys don't always return the expected results. Ask me how I know this to be true.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swallowtail Echinacea Seeds

o

Echinacea Sombrero 'Hot Coral' smells good!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here