Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower_frenzy

Help...dog eating echinacea leaves!!!

flower_frenzy
10 years ago

I have a much beloved dog that just won't leave one of my echinacea plants alone. It's "Milkshake", and every time it gets new leaves...she eats them to the ground. Strangely enough, I have 7 or 8 other varieties that she leaves alone completely. I talked to the vet and at least the leaves aren't poinsonous to her, but I'd like to see it bloom someday. Any ideas on how to deter her? Thanks.

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

train her to stay out of the garden?? .. well.. that went w/o saying ...

i trained my dogs.. by getting BITTER APPLE spray ... spraying it in their mouth ... laughing while they went thru a peanut butter on the roof of their mouth pantomime..

and then went out and sprayed down the plants ...

when i let her and him out... i would let them sniff the bottle ... to remind them..

and lo and behold.. when they went sniffin around the yard.. for some mystical reason.. they stayed away from the plants sprayed with such

go figure.. lol

i know you want some garden remedy.. but the remedy is training...

and i wish you luck with such

ken

ps: i am really surprised your vet didnt mention said product ...

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. I'll have to try that. Can you recommend a place to buy it?

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

Bitter Apple would work, and it isn't toxic -- can use it right ON the dog - say, to discourage licking or pulling at bandaging (don't spray on a wound, that would smart...)

It's readily available at pet stores, isn't a difficult to find product.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

as i said.. my vet himself carries a version ...

and i did taste it myself.. prior to squirting the dog ..

lol.... its no worse than the current candy rage of sour stuff.. todays kids think is sour-tific ... i would rather puke...

ken

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I'll check it out today. I'm determined to see that echinacea bloom!!

• StellaMarie
    10 years ago

Bitter Apple totally works for my young "bad" dog. But it doesn't for all dogs, so there are other products you may want to try. Just spray it on the plant -- and remember to keep spraying as long as the dog still seems interested, because it will fade/wash off.

You can also work on a "Leave it" command at the same time.

Good luck!

• ilovemyroses
    10 years ago

is she depressed?? (hee hee) sorry, bad joke.

I have sprinkled any spice from the pantry, not peppers, as they could hurt her, but garlic powder, something that doesn't make her want to continue, and had luck, even lemon juice, she will learn, i would think.

good luck!!

• david883
    10 years ago

I filled an old vitamin bottle with some change and everytime one of my dogs try to snack on anything (even grass and weeds) I give ONE good, hard shake. Over time they picked up on it.