Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Delphs going to seed

Posted by RyseRyse_2004 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 16:36

I am wondering how far along the seed pods have to be before I can cut off a stalk and let it air dry? I want to cut back all of my clumps so I will have another flush of bloom but want to save seeds of all of the colors.

Has anyone tried successfully to cut a seed stalk before the seeds are dried and had germination of the seeds?

I have found that if I wait for all the seed stalks in a clump to thoroughly dry, then cut them all back - I don't get another bloom from that clump.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Delphs going to seed

a plant has one goal in life.. procreation ... producing and maturing seed ..

it accomplishes this goal by attracting pollinators with pretty flowers ..

once a plant has gone to seed... and the seed matures... it is rare that you can deadhead it.. and it will flower again ..

i often wondered if the mature seed triggers hormonal changes .. but lost interest at that point ... lol ..

ken

o

yep, I do this frustrating dance every bloody year, hovering over the seed capsules (the first ones are always the fullest and fattest). Campanulas reward the ardent decapitator with a seemingly endless blooming (Sarastro can bloom itself to death!).....but the law of diminishing returns is in full effect by round 3 or so (teeny tiny little seed heads....and I suspect the viability too)). Sweet peas: at the moment, are truly stellar because I have not (yet) tired of picking and filling every household vessel but failure is on its way - in the post. A sniff of seed podding and the flowers slack off immediately. All that tender nurturing of tiny plantlets becomes a brutal chopping, tying,hacking, nipping mad race to contain unruly adolescent plants. The last chance, in my case, to maintain a smidgeon of control before the annual fruit picking torment approaches - a few weeks which inevitably shine a harsh light on all my worst traits.

o

delphiniums are extremely variable from seed so if you want the same plants you need to do cuttings next spring-youtube has a good video on it and its easy. despite what kennyboy says if you cut the stalks off at the ground and fertilize youll have flowers in sept-smaller but nice.

o

sorry almost forgot your question-seed pods do need to mature on the plant-the only way to get rebloom is to cut off the stalks just before the last flowers fade

o

Thanks all. I just can't cut them all down with all the hummers and bumble bees enjoying the last of the blooms. I still have seeds from years ago in the frig and will just use them next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here