Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasranger10

What's wrong with yellow?

TexasRanger10
9 years ago

I found out after reading here that a lot of people don't like yellow but this feels cheerful every time I go into the courtyard and a peek through the door is bright. I made a little small scale pocket prairie in there this year. A prairie needs grasses so I used small ones, June Grass and Mexican Feather Grass except you can't see them in this photo.

Comments (29)

• TexasRanger10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another shot. It's bright on a cloudy day.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

Very nice! I like that shot of blue -- is that the door?

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

I don't mind soft, lemony yellow. I don't like the yellow that's the same as dandelions. It's all personal choice, I guess.

• aegis1000
    9 years ago

I like dandelion yellow, ... just not dandelions ...

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

I don't tend to like yellow in my own garden outside of early spring and rich yellows in fall (think fall mums), but I can appreciate them in the gardens of others.

I do love yellow flowers in my house, though -- I have a deep teal blue glass vase that is a knockout when planted with yellow flowers, I particularly enjoy yellow spider mums or sunflowers in this vase. Once in a while I get a hankering for an orange arrangement in this vase, though not too often, as generally orange flowers get on my nerves.

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

I never cared for yellow myself, but found I needed a pop of color here and there so I thought I'd try a little splash of yellow.

Surprisingly I'm really liking it....

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

Allium moly

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

Who couldn't love this is the fall ;)

• User
    9 years ago

Ho, loving that, Texas - absolutely perfect for the light, the style. I am a huge yellow person....although there are no colours I would not have but am picky about combos and like to break rules (orange and pink - have had a tangerine geum next to a violently pink anisondontea which has cheered me all spring). I am concentrating on shadier plantings but am a sun-lover at heart (there's always the edges).
    Have been introducing the little yellow meconopsis cambrica (comes in red and orange too) all over the woods and will plant heaps of hypericums (about which I have been disgracefully snobbish, along with hydrangeas)....
    Colours exist as a function of light....in the mistier, greener, cool grey Atlantic side of the UK, paler yellows seem more fitting somehow....but in east anglia, land of huge skies and flat open (windy) fields (with the best agricultural soil in the country), golden brassy yellows are perfectly at home.

• TexasRanger10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All the doors are electric blue, otherwise its an all white stucco house.

Camp--that sounds fitting about the misty cool with the paler yellow. Most of the blue foliage plants I have seen that bloom yellow have paler softer yellow flowers. You see that combination a lot with desert plants. Yellow is a completely different ingredient in a prairie garden where the plants and grasses are hazy and softly blend so you never get that effect of harsh jarring colors, they all seem to work together in harmony. The thing that doesn't fit is many of the large flowered or double flowered, neat hybrids or variegated foliage, stuff like that--its those that look jarring and would appear ridiculously out of place.

Anyway, this courtyard 'little mini prairie' is new for me this year and I am so happy with it, makes me feel good. Seeing the grasses moving in the breeze makes me feel good too. I edited and made some changes in a different area this weekend to create a drift of Little Bluestem. Don't know what it is, but there is just something about it that draws me in like no other type of garden, I'm now hopelessly partial to this wilder look.

• TexasRanger10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Even the sidewalk is all done up in yeller. These escapees are so cute & behaved. Partiers keep leaving cans for me to pick up in the street lately. They don't step on my flowers so that's at least something.

• TexasRanger10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mxk3 Here is one just to get on your nerves. I seem to finally have a lot of orange this year between the lantana's and the annual gallardia's that are getting huge due to the abundant rain we are getting this June. The plant front and center is a Flame Acanthus. It will be a mass of tiny red trumpet shaped flowers soon. Three years in the making from seed I picked up from the parking lot at Will Rogers Park. Its one of those plants with exploding seed pods so I now have freebies everywhere.

• yardenman
    9 years ago

Yellow is good. All colors are good. But it's a matter of taste. I like yellow with purple or with red. But then I tend toward cottage garden styles...

• User
    9 years ago

Liking the look of that anisacanthus (obviously, had to look it up since acanthus means something entirely different to UK gardeners)....and again, I am mystified at the complete lack of interest in many US natives in europe. Why? We bust our balls trying to grow beschornias, lobelia tupa and no end of asian stuff, yet not a sniff of the really fascinating plants of Texas (yes, I know it is a big place with lots of geographic and climatic diversity but still?) Penstemons - literally hundreds....but what do we get - unidentified 'garden penstemons' and named nursery varieties, complete with PBR and patents.
    There is an increasing interest in open-pollinated vegetables (mainly for seed-savers) but clearly, the industry needs profits and are not getting any if we are saving our own seed so.....silence.

Attempting to educate myself (the Lady Bird Johnson website is brilliant) I have sent off for Hortus 3 which advertises itself as an encyclopaedia of plants grown in american gardens - I truly hope this is not more of the diminishing selection of known popular plants (3000 daylilies) with not a mention of exciting (to me) native species. Anything else to suggest for the enquiring english gardener (with riparian reedbeds, unimproved meadows and high-canopied woodland)?

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    9 years ago

Campanula, otoh, it's pretty much impossible to find any Crocosmia other than Lucifer and Emily McKensie. There are several varieties I would love to try that seem to be only available in England. And until recently, it was very difficult to find Helenium.

Yellow! I like yellow. Here's some yellow from my beds:

{{gwi:239757}}

{{gwi:239758}}

{{gwi:239759}}

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

Texas: Well, as long as YOU like it.... ;o)

A2z: That blue and yellow combo is fantastic!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I haven't been wandering around with my camera attacking the yellows lately, so I have nothing to add but some shots from earlier. WE have not had rain in the last 2 weeks and the flowers are winding down till the next shot. At this point, that could be September. I seem to be headed int o a lavender horsemint stage and my favorite stage when the Mountain pinks go gaga in their surrealistic show. I need to get my camera out for them today..The hills are alive with theâ¦. oh shut me up.

Texas Ranger, I love the textures in your yellows. Here is one from my above my neighbors yard. Good job! I can feel the breezes flowing in that lift foliage. I like that too.

I do love this shot below, and I would love to replicate it in mine. This is damianita, Chrysactinia mexicana. The foliage has a heavenly sent when bruised and if their is freezing rain, the smell is 15 times stronger, go figure!. It make me want to roll in it like a dog in shizz.

{{gwi:239760}}

{{gwi:239761}}

{{gwi:239762}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Damianita

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

hillside of narrow leaf balsam root-perhaps because plants from the hot end of the spectrum flourish in our hot summer climates-perhaps because a lot of people get stuck in the marigold phase and "real" gardeners dont want to be identified with it. my garden is on the cool side of the spectrum early and is now moving into yellows, reds and lots of white-all heat lovers-in the fall colors will shift back to the cool end

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Nice hillside, David!. Will it soon turn gold brown and silver as it heads into August? I love taking my inspiration and dreams from nature. Lady Bird Johnson use to call them the DYC's Damn Yellow Composites, I told her when I met her, that New Englanders called all little brown mushrooms LBJ's. She got a good laugh out of that. She told me she was definitely going to verify that. I gave her my Uncles phone number to call. she woke him up out of his afternoon nap. Just a Tad out of the blue. I KNOW, I am off topic now.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Goes well with blue. Just in from a visit to this garden.

• Acadiafun
    9 years ago

Yellow is great. I think because many "weeds" are yellow some people diminish the color when it comes to their choices in landscaping plants.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Oh god, if only I had masonry like that to garden against!

• User
    9 years ago

yep, we tend to call various songbird warblers LBJs (little brown jobs).

Mostly, the only yellow in our fenland landscape tends to be fields and fields of violent yellow rape. Our woods are unrelieved green and white, not much enlivened by the pale hemp agrimony and valerian of the ditches so I am eyeing the few remaining clumps of farmer's hated ragwort and buttercups and making sneaky plans.

• TexasRanger10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

David10. Gasp! Thank you for posting that! Just stunning.

Wantanamara, I love that meadow with the colors, plants and especially the way the rocky ground peeks out. Its gotta be one of my favorite types of landscape.

floral UK, That is so totally not America. Talk about 'atmosphere'.

A2zmom, great pictures. I really must get a Moonshine achillea. It was on my list and I still don't have one.

campanula, Andy & Sally Wasowski are great resources for suggestions and lists of native American plants that make wonderful landscape choices. They are strong advocates for growing native. Wantanamara sent me her somewhat worn copy of 'Native Texas Plants Landscaping Region by Region' when she got the newer version and I've put a lot more wear in the book. They have written other books as well, I believe, on other regions in the US. I refer to this book all the time.

Gee, feels like I got to go on a mini road trip to places interesting. One thing is for sure, nature knows best so her and this whole planet doesn't have one thing against the color yellow. Nature seems to love this color.

Mxk3, I purchase three ORANGE single bloom zinnias today for a spot of color in a new garden area I'm reworking to brighten it up. I thought of you. Laff.

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

texas ranger your gardens.....u da bomb

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

speaking of orange this is a chance cross of echinacea paradoxa and one of my others-pretty kool

• TexasRanger10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Eee-ew thats purdy. Are the paradoxa pale? It seems weird to get an orange.

I have Mexican Hats, the deep mahogany kind only and no yellows. A volunteer just started blooming which is an unusual shade of orange, its not bright orange but sort of subtle earthy orange with tones of gold and thankfully not in the path or a bad spot. I need to snap a pic of it. I love surprises like these.

My garden is in the process of being edited. I need more Little Bluestem and Blue Grama, I'm too heavy on the 'sweeteners' (ran across that term in the John Greenlee book 'The American Meadow Garden'). All this rain just invites moving and planting but tomorrow is supposed to have a heat index of 105, I just hope the wind stays up. I think I'm done for a while --- we are now entering Survival of the Fittest mode.

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

mine are mostly mahogany too-as i weed them out by the dozens i keep thinking-maybe this is the one with the great color, oh well into the mulch. the echinacea blooms a month before the others so the seed may be true-next spring. temps this week in the 100's with humidity at 5% or lower so survival mode here as well. reno has had 5 in. of precip. in the past 2 years with very hot summers so drought is in uncharted territory-expect sand dunes and true desert. :)

• TexasRanger10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

david, I love this landscape. I always get in trouble on the subject but a wide panoramic view like this with no trees, no fences for roosting & seed dropping and endless vast sky is like heaven on earth to me. You can post as many photos as you want on this thread, I never get tired of seeing this kind of landscape. That looks virgin. There is very little original landscape left here that remains as it once was.