Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

For zone 5a folks, Trumpet and Honeysuckle question

v1rt
10 years ago

I bought a 1gallon trumpet creeper(2 ft tall) vine last year or two around August. I didn't know where to put so I put it to the ground including the pot. I think at the end of the season, it was like 10 ft long. Anyways, around April this year, I dug and transplanted it by the pergola post. It's now 1ft tall. I would like to know if Trumpet Creeper vines are invasive here in Chicagland. I'm actually in the northwest which is about sometimes 4f degrees colder.

The reason I am asking is because I bought a Honeysuckle Goldflame yesterday. I'm not sure if I should remove the Trumpet creeper vine and plant the honeysuckle on the same spot. Someone told me to remove it but I noticed her zone was in 8.

Here she is, not planted yet. I'm thinking of planting it tonight once I get home.

{{gwi:239913}}

Comments (8)

• OhAdeline
    10 years ago

no advice but that is a beautiful photo.

• justmetoo
    10 years ago

I'm more 'downstate' than you (NW of Peoria)...while the trumpet creeper is a beauty in bloom it is a real thug.

My neighbor has one on down the street. The lady who lives behind this neighbor has had nothing but headaches with the vine. The two ladies bicker over that vine routinely Baby vines sprout up all over in lady's yard. I'm talking all over the lady's lawn, in her garden, under the sidewalk and on into the boulevard. Hundreds of baby vines...everywhere.

I have the honeysuckle. It can be a bit unruly but it's not the neighborhood nightmare the trumpet is. I trim the honeysuckle regularly and there are no babies terrifying me (or the neighbors)...but she does occassionally get a bit of powdery mildew in the humid late summer.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awesome justmetoo! That's what I needed especially you're in IL too. :)

I'll remove it tomorrow. Thanks a lot!

OhAdeline, thanks a lot too. Glad you like it. Btw, I saw new flowers today. Looks like this Honeysuckle is trying to catch my attention, hahaha :D

• v1rt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just would like to post an update. The flower on my pic above, one of the tubes is open. I smelled it and Oooo....Myyyyy....God, the scent is so heavenly!!!!!! I just wish when it gets more matured, the scent will be more wafting.

Anyways, I'm actually going to order the honeysuckle which some websites claim it has the strongest scent on August.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Even in the Mpls area trumpet vine can be a problem. My neighbor and I planted one on his telephone pole. For years it was no problem and bloomed beautifully but finally it started popping up in both our yards. He put something on it to kill it. Still had a few suckers the next year but we killed them also. Didn't see any sign of it last year or yet this spring. Sad to see it go as it was a hummingbird magnet.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info mnwsqal.

I have a tree that I'm beginning to hate. It's PurpleLeaf Sandcherry. It started sending out shoots 2 years ago but there was only one sucker. Last year, there were two suckers. This year, there were like 7+ suckers :( I cut the suckers about 2 weeks ago and now, it's showing again.

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

Neil - thanks to the consequences of my parents planting things they didn't know/had no way of knowing were invasives 50 years ago, I'm very cautious about what I plant. Every state has an invasive plant list posted on the Internet which I check before setting anything into the ground.

Don't skip your due diligence before you commit what might be a colossal error & keep a large jug of vinegar in your garage year-round so you can eradicate any errors without introducing poisonous chemicals into your garden soil. Vinegar kills everything it touches--I use it primarily on poison ivy & violets--but at least it eventually dissipates (unlike Preen or other chemicals) without poisoning the soil for generations to come.

Keep in mind, Neil, that things which grow with such exuberance do so because they're invasive and you may regret planting them down the road when you attempt to remove them from your garden. When I first moved here after my Mom died, I actually hired a neighbor with a backhoe to remove lily-of-the-valley that had overtaken my front foundation beds. Who'da thunk that would be an invasive?

Don't mean to rain on your parade but a conscientious gardener thinks a lot more these days before planting. Sure would hate to read a GW post down the road about what you wish you hadn't planted.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much gardenweed for the guidance. I will definitely be watchful. I'll also do more research before implementing something.

Btw, I'm out right now in the yard. It's 11:45pm, maybe 50f. A bit cold especially I'm just wearing shorts and a shirt. I'm enjoying the fragrance of Honeylocust's flower behind me.

I've planted Honeysuckle Goldflame today. She is really beautiful and the fragrance is out of this world. The fragrance is still not strong yet.

Again, thank you so much!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz