Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_h_gw

Echinacea/Purple Coneflower, green center?

Lisa_H OK
11 years ago

I don't have a picture handy, but I will try to post one when I get home. I have a number of purple coneflowers that didn't bloom, they put out this odd green growth where the center should be. Somewhere in the deep recesses of my brain I thought I read this is caused by a virus. Does anyone know what is wrong? Should I pull them?

Lisa

Comments (17)

• mistascott
    11 years ago

There are cultivars with green centers. See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Did it look like this?

• Lisa_H OK
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wish! Those are pretty. I think it might be aster yellows.

Lisa

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

Maybe Lisa but I think there's an insect or borer of some kind that can cause that too. It was mentioned in another thread that I can't find. Hopefully it's insect damage and you won't have to yank them. I would love to know how to tell the difference myself. I have one that looks like Aster Yellows also.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

This might have been it. Eriophyid mites cause similar deformities to Aster Yellows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diseases of Echinacea

• Lisa_H OK
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pic of the odd green center

• Lisa_H OK
    Original Author
    11 years ago

same plant I think, higher view.

• Lisa_H OK
    Original Author
    11 years ago

in the back yard, similar issue... It's aster yellows, isn't it?

• terrene
    11 years ago

I have a plant (started from seed last year) that has a couple of buds that look like yours. It is a very weird formation. I am also curious what causes this.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    11 years ago

I have a grouping of "White Swan", and in that grouping one of the plants has a green center - it is very pretty! (no deformity or weirdness, just a green center)

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

Mine are doing this as well, my first thought was aster yellows, but I'm also wondering if the weather has been a factor. (Can you tell I'm in denial?) I only have 3 coneflower plants, all Pow Wow Wild Berry, started from seed last year. 2 in one bed and the other one is in a bed nearly 500 ft. away. I got rid of all my coneflowers a few years ago because I was tired of yanking plants with aster yellows, then saw Pow Wow and decided to give them another try, this may be a very short lived 2nd chance.

• Lisa_H OK
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nevermore, I was afraid of that!!! Thanks for the diagnosis. I will pull them up tomorrow.

They do look pretty interesting!

Lisa

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    11 years ago

They do look neat... Sometimes the secondary smaller flowers get tall themselves. If you do replace with more coneflowers, make sure you keep an eye out for asters yellow in the garden center's or big box store's stock before you buy. I have seen plenty of places with plants that are visible infected.

• hydrangeasnohio
    11 years ago

Would you pull these? These green ones came up this year. They are dead center in the middle of a huge clump. All my Coneflowers spread and have never been so tall. With our wacky March weather we had this year, I had them budding up in late March...lol

{{gwi:239957}}

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    11 years ago

Yup... Those are infected. Green petal are a sure sign (unless it's a certain variety that blooms intentionally that way). Also the green cone.... Same thing

• coneflower620
    10 years ago

I had a couple coneflowers with AY last year and were removed then. Now this year although none of the have bloomed yet because its early, some of my Ruby Stars are giant but seem to have twisted growth and no signs of buds. Please tell me I dont have to rip out another ten plants or so? Is this also aster yellows? Thanks.

• coneflower620
    10 years ago

Here is another pic showing strange foliage.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths