Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marquest_gw

Full sun burn

marquest
10 years ago

I consider my zone a 5 even though the map says 6 and in some instances it is close to 7. We are at the extreme. We have started to have temps in the 90s more days than normal and lower winter temps than normal.

So it is working out that I have zone 7 heat and zone 5 cold some years. This full sun cause the leaves to burn on this knockout Sunny Yellow. This area gets sun from morning until night.

{{gwi:240162}}

Comments (3)

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

It is challenging to garden sometimes. It often seems like there is always something throwing a wrench into the works, and you never know what it will be next. That is what makes it interesting and worth doing. But your yellow rose looks pretty good to me.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Full sun should not cause rose foliage to burn, even in very hot climates. Would assume some sort of other issues at play here......watering, spraying while sun is up, fertilizer burn, etc.

btw, the USDA zones have nothing to do heat - they are a measure only of average minimum winter temperatures. For example, I live in a 8b/9 hardiness zone but it seldom gets much above 80F in summer.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Love that one! It does look fantastic to me too, that's a great flush of blooms. Same color as the last one I got for out front, matches the house. The one crispy tip I can see could be the result of a passing nibble.

Is the purple flower Clematis? Never sure when I can't see the foliage too.

KO's are fine in full sun here too, the more, the better, evergreen this past winter. The heat is late in arriving this year, but the past few weeks are near 90, and days in a row of much hotter temps are common, expected later in the summer.

When it comes to roses, I pay no attention to the leaves except to cut the ugly ones off if they're bothering me. When they look as nice as your plant, I do admire them though. After finally getting some long overdue rain and just having trimmed off a flush of finished blooms, I'm expecting a flush of new red foliage to admire, then more flowers.

On any rose, my policy is pretty simple and easy, either there are pretty flowers often enough to be pleasing, or there's a shovel pruning. What disease they may or may not have is irrelevant, because I wouldn't buy a substance for a disease and many roses seem to always have some imperfect leaves but bloom just fine anyway. I wouldn't buy one that had foliage maladies, but don't stress if some leaves aren't perfect later on.

Seems like the more fancy the name and price tag, the more diseased it will be. When healthy roses are really planted in full sun, not just some possibly incorrect idea of how much sun is good enough, they are nearly indestructible. Roses in shade part or most of the day are those that get to looking so bad they make you wonder how they are still alive, especially in the colder zones.

Another vote that it looks fine!

If there are roses bred to grow better in the north, less than full sun, or that are known to be overwhelmed by heat or sun in lower latitudes, I'm uninformed about that, and of course these comments would not apply. Hopefully someone who does know would make that clear for everyone.