Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jayco_gw

If I want columbine to re-seed, when can I cut it back?

jayco
11 years ago

I'm not sure how long I need to leave my columbine before cutting back if I want to make sure it returns. How can I tell it's done its thing? Thanks.

Comments (15)

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

The seed pods need to be brown, dry and open. Then you will know the seed has been dispersed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aquilegia seed pods

• jayco
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great, thank you!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

there is an easier answer.. if you have more than one ...

let some go to seed..

and cut back others ...

a single plant will probably give you a couple hundred seed.. so just let one go.. and pinch the others ..

otherwise.. the questions should be.. how long to ripen from flower to viable seed ... and count back from first frost of freeze ... and make sure you leave some go.. near the end of sept .. or so ...

i seem to think.. you are only going to get one trim back.. before they kinda peter out ....

ken

• jayco
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ken, that's just what I did. I'm vaguely aware that it seeds itself easily, since I always seem to have plenty of it despite doing nothing to help it along. That's my kind of plant.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

you are welcome.. i say that it kinda just 'wanders around my beds' ... this way and that ...

and easy to hit with roundup or pull out.. should it go where i dont want it ...

ken

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

You can also cut off the bloom stalks when the seeds are ripe and then shake them over areas where you want more.

• pippi21
    11 years ago

somebody provided you an excellent picture of how the seed pods should look when they are ripe..I clip those seed pods off carefully over some type of container, because the seeds drop out so easy. Just turn that pod upside down over a paper bowl or plastic container and you'll see loads of seeds drop out. Sometimes, they get caught up in the shell of the pod so it doesn't hurt to take your fingers and pull those dried pods apart. Either scatter them right away or save them for wintersowing in 2013 or for trading with other gardeners or friends or family. Some seeds could have already dropped out and you'll find little seedlings starting in a few weeks..easy to grow!

• jayco
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Do the hybrids always come true to seed?

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    11 years ago

Hybrids will not always come true. I forget what color I started with, but I wound up with pink.

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

They always surprise you. One year I had the most amazing range of colors. Since then they have scattered over the garden and I don't have as much variety, but still lots of pretty ones. The hybrids seem to cross easily with each other but I haven't seen any evidence that they cross with the native wild ones, and they grow side by side.

Sandy

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

I've purchased many colors over the years but all I have now are blue. They do not come true from seed. Variegated leaves don't either.

• jayco
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Huh. OK, so for the past few 5 or more years mine have been the same each year -- a large hybrid variety with yellow and red flowers. Would it have been more likely to come true to seed if I don't have other columbines anywhere nearby? Because if so I will make sure not to plant others near it, as I really like this one.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

I enjoy my columbine, but this year I see I was not careful enough to deadhead the last couple of years and now they are a job to get out of where I don't want them. They are not easy to pull unless they are very young. I ended up having to get out the shovel and dig them out. They seem to like to germinate under the shrubs nearby and choke them out and look like a jungle. I've dug out many plants this year and have ruthlessly deadheaded.

• mashell
    11 years ago

Not sure this is the right place for my question but since columbine seem to be the topic here I thought I might give it a try. I, unlike Jayco, do not want my columbine to re-seed. It has taken over the place. It is blooming right now and today I pulled up a couple wheel barrels full of columbine. My question is, looking at all that I thought it would make for a great mulch in some other areas of the place but I don't know if since it is already blooming if it will just go to seed any way and end up spreading even more. Like a dandelion bloom if you pick the flower and drop it, it will make seed even after being picked. Chances are the columbine have been pollinated. I appreciate any help.

Mashell

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

I am not an expert, but it was my understanding that until the plant produces seed, it wouldn't be able to reseed. In my general experience, I am cautious when using plant material for mulching, that it doesn't have an opportunity to root again in a new location. So I will sometimes leave it in the sun to die before I apply it as mulch. Otherwise, if there are seed pods already formed on the spent flower stems, I would remove those before mulching too. But sounds like good organic matter to improve your soil and it's free too.