Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebeezgw

Do you throw divisions out?

Recently, I have started throwing out Autumn Joy sedums and dianthus, as I cut that back. I feel a little guilty, but I'm going to divide my perennial bed this fall and well......more than I want. At what point is it too much of a hassle to give it away? I have no neighbors and very few gardening friends.

Comments (8)

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

It happens now and then.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Are you referring to cuttings, (you said as you cut them back) or divisions?

Cuttings, usually. Divisions, not always. I either wait till near swap time, and divide then and bring extras to the swap, or I can usually find a co-worker who "needs" something.

My friend puts things on the curb with a "free" sign, or if you wanted to you could give them away on freecycle or craigslist. Or maybe the local church/school/charity could use them for a plant sale fundraiser.

I wouldn't beat yourself up over it if you really have no one to give them to. I can empathize with you, as I know that gulity feeling, lol, but its not the end of the world if you toss a few plants. :)

Dee

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

It really depends. Often I find it easier to pot up any divisions I create. It's easier to water them in the pot and put them in the shade and wait for them to settle in while i decide what to do with them and I can ask around if anyone wants them. I have wanted to use most of the divisions I've created, but I am getting to that point where I can't use them all. I have shovel pruned a few things and I don't feel guilty at all. If I had the opportunity to pass them along I would do that, but I don't always.

If I had a LOT of divisions that I was planning to make and didn't want any, I might ask around if someone wanted to come over and help me do the divisions and take them off my hands. I posted to Freecycle once to find someone who wanted to dig out shrubs that they could have and I had a man come out in a few days and he was very grateful to get them and I was grateful I didn't have to dig them out.

Another way I would consider using divisions, if I were in a position to do it, is to sell them. I go to a local plant sale once a year in the spring and it is a collection of gardeners who pot up all their divisions and propagated materials and sell them for very reasonable prices. I've talked to some of them and this year, one of the particpants said he brought over 800 pots to the sale, because the year before he had 300 that he sold in the first 2 hours. So, that is another way. At that sale, some of the proceeds go to a charity, as well. Or the income could pay for some of the expense of gardening.

• sara82lee
    10 years ago

I think it partly depends on what it is... For example, I have more cannas than anyone I've ever met could want. I dig the ones that spread where I don't want them and they can make themselves useful as compost. If anyone comes by later and wants some, there's always plenty more. But don't toss divisions of more "valuable" things!

Freecycle is good, but the freecycle people in my area seem flaky. I think craigslist is better. Just put in there that they will go to the person who can come the fastest, and you'll be surprised at how fast they go. Or post an ad that says they're on the curb and they'll likely disappear.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Every time I have an over-abundance of plants, I find someone on these forums who wants to trade for it, for something different. Awesome! Just throw it in a pot until you arrange something. If it doesn't happen, just throw in the compost - it can give one last time.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

Sometimes.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would trade for it but I only want rather spectacular plants, not more ordinary like what I already have. No curb, we are in the country and I don't want strangers form Cl or FC coming to the house. I've thought about selling them..... but so much work, little money. I don't have enough great plants yet!

These are divisions, not cuttings, btw, I cut the dianthus with a spade to keep it the size I want so the excess is almost always rooted.

I throw out enough veronica georgia blue to cover an acre, really, lots of nice stuff, I just don't need more. I did give away all the stella daylilies though.

I feel better knowing other people throw it out too.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

When one has to ask the question and finds it is more bother than joy. I give away and swap dozens and dozens of plants every year. This year I am thinking about throwing all my divisions in the compost heap as I am tiring out and don't want the hassle. No guilt.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!