Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davemichigan

Dianthus: Annual or Perennial

davemichigan
15 years ago

I have seen it listed as perennial and as hardy annual? What is it really?

The reason I am asking is because I am too late to grow it from seed this year. If it is annual, I will start early next year.

But if it is perennial, it seems like I can plant anytime now and let it develop some root systems. The folloages will die back in the winter but the plant should come back next spring. Correct?

TIA!

Comments (13)

• echinaceamaniac
    15 years ago

I'm in Zone 7 and it's a perennial for me. It could depend on the variety.

• davisgard
    15 years ago

For me, in California (zone 9), it's a perennial. (But we don't get snow and only light frosts.) It's a short lived perennial--it usually dies off in about 3 or 4 years (as far as I know, it doesn't reseed itself).

• lindac
    15 years ago

If well mulched, it's a perennail here as well...
    I would sow seeds now.
    Linda c

• echinaceamaniac
    15 years ago

These tend to spread on the ground here. I've noticed they take root all over the ground. It'd be easy to multiply these this way!

• gazania_gw
    15 years ago

Dave, the Dianthus commonly called 'Sweet William' is an annual as are some others that are called 'Dianthus'. Many Dianthus are perennial. So you need to identify exactly which Dianthus you are wanting to plant. Do a google search for "Annual Dianthus" and then "Perennial Dianthus" Maybe that will help you clear things up.

• njmomma
    15 years ago

I was thinking that too - garden pinks (I think that's what they are called) are perennial dianthus. Most are perennials I think.

• northerngirl_mi
    15 years ago

The "annual" dianthus will often overwinter here in Michigan zone 5 if well established before winter, and planted in an area that has good drainage, especially if we have snow cover during the coldest weather.

As others have said, there are annual, biennial, and perennial varieties of dianthus. Even without knowing what you have, seed tends to be 'cheap' - I'm the impatient sort, so if it were me, I would start some (half) of the seeds immediately. If for some reason they don;t overwinter, you can start the rest next year. (Or check out the Winter Sowing forum).

Just be sure to store your leftover seed in a 'cool, dry' place. Best if just put in a jar with a lid.

• vegangirl
    15 years ago

Dave,
    The dianthus varieties with stiff, blue- or gray-green leaves are perennial for me in Zone 6 mountains. Also, in the fall I buy green-leaved dianthus marked "annual" from Lowes clearance rack and they overwinter for me with no snow cover and temps down around 0 degrees. I have some that are 3 years old, so far.

• duluthinbloomz4
    15 years ago

The "annual" dianthus sold in a riot of colors and patterns at the big boxes are usually the D. Chinensis (check out the Google images for this type) - they'll come back for several years running here in zone 4, with or without snow cover. I'm not an expert, but the perennial types - Deptford Pinks and the common varieties like today's Firewitch, etc. last for years and years. I've had some unknown varieties since 1972.

• davemichigan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all! I have a pack of Microchip Mix which is listed as perennial. Then I have Sweet William but the packet doesn't say whether it is annual or perennial. From your responses it sounds like it is an annual.

• northerngirl_mi
    15 years ago

Sweet William is usually a biennial. Plant it now for flowers next year.

• nicoleternity
    11 years ago

I have both "annual" Dianthus (deep pink) - the kind NOT with the still bluish leaves. This came back with no special treatment, and it was in a patio pot. This year it's in the ground and hopefully it will overwinter.

I also have Sweet William in it's second year and finally blooming ;). I am wondering if it will come back next year or reseed, we'll see.