Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judyhi

pruning montauk daisy

judyhi
10 years ago

can I still successfully prune my montauk daisies this late since there are no buds? I neglected to do this earlier in the month to prevent floppage. As always, I appreciate the help.

Judy

Comments (8)

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

I've heard it's best to prune them in early spring and again sometime in mid-summer (I think) to control size/height/width. Normally they bloom here in early October. I haven't pruned mine the past two years and have left them pretty much to themselves but they seem happy thriving on neglect.

My guess would be you could prune them now without adversely affecting their normal bloom time.

Best of luck!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Hmm, I didn't know it was supposed to be too late. I was just looking at them yesterday thinking I need to cut them back. Of course, I didn't but I plan to this week.

I guess that's not really "advice", lol, but I'm thinking they're pretty hardy and will do fine. I definitely would rather attempt to prune them than to have them sprawl later on.

Dee

• judyhi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I'll experiment. Leave one and prune the other.

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    10 years ago

I cut mine down last week. This is only my first full season with them after being planted last August, so I also hope it is not too late. I assumed they are like most chrysanthemums which follow the general rule no later than July 4th. They are already showing signs of new growth at the leaf axils.

I have read these are very easy to root from cuttings just shoved into the soil (like sedum) but I am running out of room and didn't try this, LOL!

I planted this and many other single-flowered mums (the so-called Korean mums) for fall color and especially as a late food source for pollinators.

• sukie
    10 years ago

Too many flopping plants in my garden this year! I am going to be ready with my pruners to cut them way back in June/July?? Montauk Daisies, Tall, perennial sun flowers and sedum. Do you think this would be OK?

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

sukie9 - it's likely not an issue to prune many perennials early in the season in order to delay/increase their bloom season/output or control their habit. Sunflowers might not take to such treatment and may fail to bloom but in my experience sedum, Montauk daisies, asters & balloon flower seem to thrive when they're treated to an early season trimming.

While I've yet to trim them back in fall, my winter sown (grown from seed) Siberian iris are extremely vigorous and will get cut back after they bloom next Spring.

Best of luck with your garden!!

• sukie
    10 years ago

Thank you Weed! The sun flowers are the bushy, tall kind, I am not sure of there real name, but they will get cut too.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

sukie...

you need to start your own post...

and list the plants you are talking about ...

if you want some precise answers ...

in my experience.. flopping plants is due to over fertilization ... and i would discuss that in your new post ...

ken

ps: june or july is WAY TOO LATE .... it would be now or april ... before new spring growth starts ....