Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Heuchera and winter survival

Since there has been some discussion on this forum this spring re heucheras and survival, I thought some of you might be interested in the pictures we took today. We were at Northland Nursery to pick up some heucheras. Northland is a commercial propagator not too far away that allso sells retail - 1 gal. pots for $5.99. It's a great place to get stuff but you do have to pay attention to what stage of growth the new plants are at. I like to buy the stuff that has survived the winter in pots in the outdoor/unheated hoophouses. The heuchera hoophouse was an interesting mix of survivors and not. This shot is looking down the length of it:
{{gwi:240741}}
The green that you see is mostly weeds! Northland grows mostly only the fancy-leafed heucheras. Some of the green was coneflower seedlings or divisions from this spring. There were no green-leafed heucheras there - I'm not sure if that was because there were no survivors or because they weren't growing any.... They do have a green one on their list for this year though.

In this picture you can see the coneflowers for this year (obviously filling space where dead heucheras had been cleared out!) And you can see that some of the heucheras survived just fine:
{{gwi:240742}}

In this picture you can see that there a lot wiped out completely:
{{gwi:240743}}

I didn't check the names of all the survivors but 'Midnight Rose' (the one I went there to get) did fine and 'Palace Purple' looked like it had 100% survival!

Comments (5)