Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
the best lupine cultivar ever!!!

Posted by perennialfan273 zone 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 25, 09 at 17:54

If you haven't heard about "Morello Cherry", you may consider looking into it. This is a red flowering cultivar, as the name implies, but as an added bonus, it is also claimed to:
-Attract butterflies/hummingbirds
-Fragrant
-Good cut flower

But, none of these fine attributes are what piqued my interest about this plant. What really intrigued me the most was that this plant is actually heat tolerant. A heat tolerant lupine?? Is that even possible?!?! If the rumors are true, then this is without a doubt my favorite cultivar of lupine, but if you've grown (or are growing) a cultivar that has performed (or is performing) better for you, I'd like to know about it. We'll see if the rumors about Morello Cherry are true. I've decided to sow the seeds indoors during the summer, and in autumn, I'm going to plant them outside. The reason I'm doing this is because I want them to develop well-established root systems during their first seasons, and with the heat we get in summer, I think it may be a little too stressful on them. My question, though, is how long do the seeds stay viable for??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: the best lupine cultivar ever!!!

I have a goal of creating a lupine garden (heat here too) and I started a bunch this past winter, winter sowing. I had HORRIBLE luck transplanting. Almost all the sprouts died. Perhaps I should have left them to grow longer/bigger in the pots, like they sell at nurseries, but the sprouts were suffering in the containers.

I panicked and bought more seeds. These I soaked overnight and directly sowed and they are doing well.

I am now convinced that for the sake of my sanity, I'll direct sow lupine in the fall. I read that they dislike root disturbance.

I tried to grow Morello Cherry, this year, and I probably killed the ones I had. One that bloomed for me this year is dark pink - almost red, and it is/was spectacular. The seeds are almost ready to harvest. It must be perennial because last year it didn't bloom.

Email me if you are interested.

I think lupine seeds are viable for years. Soaking overnight worked really well. New sprouts are everywhere in my garden.

o

I'll show you a teaser which I grew from seed...

Photobucket

Lupines always attract butterflies and hummingbirds, are scented, and are great cut flowers. Ar this time of year the vase on my kitchen table is loaded with them. Their lovely perfume fills the room. :O)

As per the seeds, they are viable for quite some time. Some folks will tell you to stratify them, but as long as your soil is kept moist, they will germinate. I'll post a link to some eye candy for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Post with Lupine pics at Winter Sowing Forum

o

I have lupines that throw seeds all over one of my beds surrounding the back patio. They usually bloom in May and June and then start seeding for next years crop. By early fall, I see small plants all over, even in the grass.

All my beds are mulched with cedar chips but its never been a problem for these tough plants.

Love the look of that Morello cherry, and will try to find seeds to plant out right now.

Every year is a new color surprise, because it takes two years for them to bloom from seeds.
Pondy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here