Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosaprimula

Pressure

Campanula UK Z8
9 years ago

This is my stressiest time of year -as may have been apparent with an increase in churlishness and general whining. No more plants can go in the ground now (no water) so the garden is filled with hundreds of pots filled with plants getting larger and thirstier by the day while the fruit harvest is gathering pace. Weeks of eating strawberries failed to make much of a dent in the insane crop while the raspberries have been at the other extreme - virused and deathly, a crop, any crop, a rare event (it has been 8 years since we last had decent raspberry crops but we must have raspberry jelly) so they had to be seized and gathered - bad enough spending hours picking.....it is the days of hot jamming, pureeing and kitchen toiling which oppresses me......but I am old enough and mean enough to be unable to waste perfectly good food (and frankly, our fruit is excellent). The currants are ready too I used to make a lot of cordial for my children (which is why I have 20+ bushes). Cutting the grass paths is no sort of priority anymore so the allotment is going into jungle mode (it is only midsummer - why did I think I also needed 100+ (huge)roses). Or 50 tomatoes (ketchup).
Worst of all, at the moment of maximum stress, hair-pulling despair, the most comforting, calming activity was to find myself SOWING MORE SEEDS. Foxgloves (again), rehmannia, oxslips..........my name is Suzan and I am a plant addict

Comments (7)