Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sally6340

Echinacea Piccolino Coneflower

Has anyone tried the Piccolino? It's supposed to be a relatively new dwarf Echinacea only reaching about 12".

Comments (8)

• michey1st_gw
    9 years ago

I just got one of these from Santa Rosa's clearance sale (haven't even planted it out yet... debating on whether to stick it in the ground or pot her up). Would love to hear other's thoughts as well!

• buyorsell888
    9 years ago

I just got one from Santa Rosa too. Darling!

• yardenman
    9 years ago

I'm thinking this dwarf coneflower might be a great edging plant.

• michey1st_gw
    9 years ago

I will say, the one I got from Santa Rosa was a very nice size with some buds on it already. It looks much nicer (farther along) than the raspberry truffle I also received in the same order =)

I decided to stick it in the border surrounding my pond -- I would snap a picture but I don't like walking out there too much because I have little baby toads everywhere and don't want to risk stepping on them any more than I have to >.

• User
    9 years ago

One of the great charms of echinaceas is the long sturdy stems which require no staking or tying while those flower heads confidently wave above the ground level humdrum chaos and act as a neat defining shape between those much taller (and unruly) asters and heliosomethings. Mine top out around 3-4 feet and have enough innate vigour to resist the thuggish encroachment of couch grass and flopping asters.
    I can quite see why the neater smaller versions might find favour in gardens, especially gardens which are less untidy than mine. but I will be resisting the shortened version...and have not really warmed to the Pow-wow series either.

• sally6340 (6a, So OH)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Michey1st, I would be interested in how that Piccolino does for you. I'm thinking about planting several of them in the front of my flowerbed this fall.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

I am glad you asked this question. Don't believe the advertised height. I have two plants, one is more upright than the other, but they are both about 18".

This is the more upright one.
    {{gwi:241141}}

I was a bit worried because it doesn't look quite right. The petals are sparse and the center doesn't look the way it should for this variety.

Here is the one that has flowers that look more the way I think they should look.

{{gwi:241142}}

Good thing I took these photos for you, because I looked closer and realized it has asters yellow. Bummer! They will both have to be removed.

• sally6340 (6a, So OH)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dekeoboe, thanks so much for your info & pictures. Really appreciate it.
    18" would certainly be too tall for the front of my flowerbed. This is certainly not what I expected. THANKS, again!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES