Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Saliva' like substance on my phlox

Posted by perennialfan273 zone 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 3, 09 at 18:31

Hello

Today, I was looking at some garden phlox, and it had something on the leaves that looked a lot like somebody had spit on it. Does anybody have any idea what this is?? Is it harmful to the plant??

Also, you know what I just realized?? If you switch the 'v' and the 'i' in saliva, it spells salvia. Interesting...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Saliva' like substance on my phlox

Sounds like a Spittle Bug. My experience is that they are an occasional visitor to the garden, and while technically harming your plants, their populations are such that they are not a problem.

If concerned, just apply some medium-pressure water from a hose.

o

I get lots of them in my garden this time of year. They are really gross. Like aphids, they suck juices from your plants. In small numbers they aren't much to worry about, but if you have a lot they can be disease vectors and deform flowers. Hosing them off works somewhat; pushing aside the spittle and finding and squishing the little bugger works even better, but I recommend wearing gloves.

o

Spittle bugs. Just go in with your fingers and pinch the green bugs from the center of the spit.

o

They love my phlox and my dianthus as well. I just squish em' too!!

o

I just use a spray bottle with a very mild detergent solution, and it does the trick. They really don't seem to harm my plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here