Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
casi_gw

deadheading shasta daisys

casi
11 years ago

does it do any good? I did it last year but I didn't get any more blooms. They take up a lot of space to not provide anymore color than they do.

Comments (13)

• mistascott
    11 years ago

It is supposed to. Make sure you deadhead to the next lateral bud -- don't just pop off the deadhead.

• tepelus
    11 years ago

They may rebloom a little, but nothing like the first flush. Like mistascott said, cut down to the next lateral bud.

Karen

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    11 years ago

The bloom time of Shastas, in fact many other flowers, are greatly influenced by the weather. Extra hot and extra sun may decrease the duration of bloom.

And I find little increase in additional blooms for my "Beckys" through dead- heading. Of course YMMV.

• casi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks very much. I did not know how to do it correctly.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

listen casi..

you gotta bunch.. dont you???

pick 5.. and try 5 different methods.. and YOU find out which works ... by just experimenting.. i found i remembered better .... for next year ...

to many peeps think there is an EXACT perfect way ...

just do it..

pop one flower top..

next one.. just trim it 50% down ..

then trace down the stem.. and find tiny buds where leafs join.. pick some with bids facing in..

some with buds facing.. out..

etc..

what you will probably learn ... is they all work.. lol ..

so it just comes back to.. just do it.. and then the tough part.. try to remember next year.. lol ..

ken

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    11 years ago

What is meant by "next lateral bud?" Rats..... I thought these would keep reblooming lots. My daughter loves them, though.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

then trace down the stem.. and find tiny buds where leafs join.. pick some with buds facing in..

some with buds facing.. out..

==>> no time to google.. but i bet the ones facing out.. are lateral ...

we tend to want the plant to 'open up' .. rather than selecting interior buds.. and forcing them to grow inwards ...

caro.. no plant maintains flowering vigor for the whole summer... we can 'extend' such.. but not really all summer ...

what you need to be doing.. is watching these posts .. or starting your own.. for something like 'what starts blooming in july ... or august ...' ..

so that you can plant waves of flowers as the season progresses ...

juniorette.. needs to learn about a diversity of plants.. rather than focus on one type to love.. lol ..

ken

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

Rebloom or not, deadheading is necessary, unless you want to 'drown' in shasta daisies next year. So yes, it does some good.

• natal
    11 years ago

I planted Beckys last fall. Haven't seen a single bloom. Is that normal for a first year?

• DYH
    11 years ago

Planted from seeds, my 'Alaska' and 'Becky' took 3 years to look great...and, this has been a great year. We had great weather in June (until the last few days when it went over 100), and the reblooming was pretty good and the foliage still looks great.

My best reblooming shasta is 'Broadway Lights' (not seed grown, it is a hybrid). Shorter than most, but quite upright. The second blooms are just as large as the first. It's been blooming (with deadheading) since May 29. Today, I did a bit more deadheading and the plants look just as good with lots of blooms. 'Broadway Lights' starts out pale yellow and transforms to white, so there can be different colors on the same plant. I've been growing this for many years now.

Cameron

11 years ago

wonbyherwits wrote:

My best reblooming shasta is 'Broadway Lights' (not seed grown, it is a hybrid). Shorter than most, but quite upright. The second blooms are just as large as the first. It's been blooming (with deadheading) since May 29. Today, I did a bit more deadheading and the plants look just as good with lots of blooms. 'Broadway Lights' starts out pale yellow and transforms to white,

Good information.

Cameron your description of the colour of the flower reminds me of Shasta 'Banana Creme' BUT with a far superior duration of bloom. (But) It is clearly taller than BC.

11 years ago

wonbyherwits wrote:

My best reblooming shasta is 'Broadway Lights' (not seed grown, it is a hybrid). Shorter than most, but quite upright. The second blooms are just as large as the first. It's been blooming (with deadheading) since May 29. Today, I did a bit more deadheading and the plants look just as good with lots of blooms. 'Broadway Lights' starts out pale yellow and transforms to white,

Good information.

Cameron your description of the colour of the flower reminds me of Shasta 'Banana Creme' BUT with a far superior duration of bloom. (But) It is clearly taller than BC.

• mistascott
    11 years ago

If the blooms are done (including lateral buds), you can cut it down to basal foliage and sometimes you will get a limited rebloom.