Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilsprout

Zone 5...show us your Bloomers!

lilsprout
9 years ago

I'd love to see what you all currently have blooming.

My beds seem to be at a lull right now with very little blooming. I'd like to get some ideas to fill in this period of boredom.

Thanks!

Here's what I currently have blooming....

Pinks....don't remember what kind.

This post was edited by lilsprout on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 18:55

Comments (41)

• lilsprout
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Salvia May night

• lilsprout
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sundrops

• lilsprout
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Geranium.....a piece of this jumped into my car at work.

• lilsprout
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Knock out rose

• lilsprout
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lamium

• lilsprout
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chives

• lilsprout
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Allium moly (top)
    Angelina sedum

This post was edited by lilsprout on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 18:57

• lilsprout
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unknown peony

• gailwrite
    9 years ago

My Adenophora confusa (ladybells) is glorious now but, sorry, I don't know how to upload a picture.

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

No pictures, but we're behind here in Zone 4 - to sandwich you between zones 6 and mine.

Lilacs will peak in a day or so. Azaleas, Dame's Rocket, and forget-me-nots going great guns. Peonies, dianthus deltoids, and Siberian iris will be next.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

My peonies finished last week, but I have all roses, still a few columbine hanging on, campanula glomerata, Missouri primrose, salvia, heuchera, Asiatic lilies, anemones, foxtail lily just about to, nepeta, phlox, geraniums, centaurea, kousa dogwood, viburnums, honeysuckles and purple sambucus. Love this time of year!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

Greengo, the pic of the chipmunk is absolutely adorable !! And your garden looks so professional , so pretty . Great job !

Raee, can you share pics next time you get a chance ?
    Lily sprout I adore your swan planter. I love concrete things like that and she is so charming

And those pinks are so pretty !!
    I am not in zone 5 .. So I won't post pics but I wanted to say everyone has such pretty flowers up there ! :)

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I am ahead of duluthinbloom here in central MN. Have most of the same blooms as you in Z:5. Iris are almost finished. Diantahus, salvia, perennial poppies, siberian iris, thalictrum, nepeta, columbines, bleeding heart, blue flax, lupine, and some early clematis are in bloom.

• lilsprout
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all, gives me lots to think about/research.

Greengo WOW absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. Chipmunk is hilarious....although I've grown to dislike them....

My shasta Daisy's, campanula, Lillies, more pinks, Lysimachia Alexander, and clematis are all getting ready to pop! Won't be bored for too much longer :)

Thanks again.

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

June is a beautiful time, the happiest time for gardeners, isn't it. All the gardens are gorgeous. It is truly is a labor of love.

Mine is especially great this year thanks to the amount of snow and rain and the cool weather.

Especially welcome is this little guy that I spotted today:
    {{gwi:241303}}

This post was edited by pitimpinai on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 21:22

• lilsprout
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well isn't he quite striking.

Looks like he's smiling at you :)

Or maybe growling lol

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Hi Pitimpinai, is that a Monarch caterpillar? Is it early to be seeing those? I had one last year on Parsley plants and that was it, but it wasn't until the Fall. So far this year, I've only seen one Monarch, but I've been seeing more different varieties that I don't know. They're all pretty small.

June is one of the best months of the year, I agree. :-)

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Very pretty.

Peonies currently stealing the show.

Today.

This post was edited by SunnyBorders on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 20:58

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Great photos, Pitimpinai :-)

Your fence and arbor are still looking great and looks like your Clematis Etoile Violette is on it. Gorgeous Display of flowers on that plant. I enjoy the photos of the backs of your clematis blooms and I didn’t know ‘Betty Corning’ was fragrant. I'm going to have to look for that one.

You have a lot of blooms on your ‘Annabelle’. Mine is not looking very good this year. What variety is your Philadelphus and is it fragrant? It looks like a double. Your ‘Tiffany’ Rose is such a pretty shape and I like the little hint of yellow in the interior.

I’m glad your garden did not suffer after the crazy winter weather we all had!

• lefleur1
    9 years ago

Piti ~~ thanks for all the pictures ~~ beautiful.

Several years ago you were kind enough to share a bunch of plants with me. They are all doing great!

• joopster
    9 years ago

Peony

• joopster
    9 years ago

Chicago Peace...

• joopster
    9 years ago

DA Crown Princess Margareta

• joopster
    9 years ago

Another lovely peony.

• greenhearted Z5a IL
    9 years ago

Here's a picture from last week ... If anyone can ID her, I'd be grateful

green_go, fantastic photos! Is that 'Purple Smoke' Baptisia?

pitimpinai, I am digging the hosta and allium combination! Lovely clematis. I'll try to remember to snap a photo of mine to share.

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

Unknown Peony with huge blooms!

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

Blue Light Clematis

• lilsprout
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Piti there's certainly nothing boring going on in your garden....beautiful! Love all your clematis.

Greenhearted your peonies are gorgeous. I have my first bloomers just this year....never knew what I'd been missing. They put on quite the show, just wish they lasted longer. Here's my favorite...the rain got it :(

• greenhearted Z5a IL
    9 years ago

Lilsprout, that peony is lovely. The word ethereal comes to mind.

I remembered to take the picture of the clematis last night. This came with the house as did the peonies. Lucky me! I'm not sure how to care for this (I remember something about pruning groups?), so I think I'll post a new thread for help. Any comments welcome.

• lilsprout
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you gh. Ethereal...perfect!

Here are my newest bloomers....

Bugloss

• lilsprout
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lysimachia Alexander (not too fond of)

• lilsprout
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Evening primrose

• lilsprout
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Campanula

• midnitecrafter
    9 years ago

Wow these are all such beautiful pictures !!!! I'm glad I stumbled upon this forum tonight. Great Job everyone !!!!

• kristie73
    9 years ago

Donald Wyman Lilac

• romy718
    9 years ago

Lythrum Morden's Pink or Gleam with Delphiniums.

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

Thanks, prairiemoon. Betty Corning does have a lovely fragrance. I am getting a little tired of 'Annabelle' for flopping about. I dug out an entire clump earlier this spring to give my Hosta 'Sum and Substance' above more room.

That has to be Philadelphus 'Minnesota Snowflake'. I ordered a dwarf double, but Forestfarm sent me a full size philadelphus instead - a mistake that I discovered only two years later when it became much taller than intended.

lefleur, if you would like more plants, come by sometime this fall.

lilsprout, your peony if lovely. That campanula must be the same as mine, but yours in a much better shape than mine. :-)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Pitimpinai, I tried and tried to use my 'Annabelle'. I moved it twice, then tried giving it support and now it has moved to it's final resting spot, out of my view in an area that I rarely pay any attention to where it can do it's own thing. :-) I put another Hydrangea in it's place called 'Madame Emile Mouillere'. It is a white mop head with pretty edges to the petals that remind me of pinking shears. I just moved it this spring and after last winter it has only one flower getting ready to bloom, but I have high hopes it will be an improvement over 'Annabelle'

That's funny, I wanted to get 'Minnesota Snowflake' but they were out of it and I ended up with 'Buckley's Quill' which definitely is a double and I believe is a dwarf as well. Unfortunately, it has no fragrance that I can detect. Your Minnesota Snowflake is fragrant, yes? I wonder if you can keep it pruned to the size you need? I'm still looking for another Philadelphus that is fragrant.

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

Yes, prairiemoon2, that Philadelphus is fragrant - lovely fragrance, just like Betty Corning. I gave up on making the Philadelphus stay short. It has not grown terribly wide, because the area no longer gets much sun after my next door neighbor extended the house upward.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner