Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink evening primrose - should I cut it back?

Posted by brit5467 7b VA East Coast (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 11, 10 at 18:54

Mine are about 3 yrs. old and have spread from one end of my garden to the other. Fine, but they all lean way forward towards the East sun, almost onto the ground. They're probably almost 1 1/2' tall and about now, they're not looking that full of flowers.

I'm told they'll flower all summer long? Is that true? Mine didn't last year but I think because I didn't keep them watered.

Wondering if I cut them back about 1/3 down, will they still continue to flower? I basically want to shorten them a bit and help them get a bit bushier.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink evening primrose - should I cut it back?

I have a bed of these and I cut them back every year. They bloom for a long time if you have the time to deadhead them. I do not have that kind of time. As soon as they stop blooming and the weather cool some, I cut them off. Some will rebloom if!! I do it early enough. They bloom so awesome the following year on the new growth. I have some pics of this years flowers in my gallery.

Here is a link that might be useful: gaylas gallery

o

Your pics are awesome (all of them !!!). Your primrose are same as mine, but your foliage looks so much fuller and greener than mine. Mine looks scraggly. Did last year, too. But mine is more of a darker green with a tint of red running thru it.

I have no time for deadheading, either. Too many !! But still not sure if you're saying that if I cut them back NOW -- while it's hot and they're blooming -- if they'll continue to bloom rest of summer?

o

Aw, this was just a ploy to look at your entire imaginative and humorous garden! It has character and I love that in gardens. Where is the lychnis?

Thanks for a minute of fun on a gray-green morning here in MA

idabean

o

I am asking the same question. I live in MA and my evening primrose has been beautiful for the past several weeks. However they are beginning to look a little spent. Should I try to trim them up now for continual bloom throughout the summer (it is barely June). they are supposed to bloom throughout the summer but mine are already looking a little rangey (sp). BTW it won't be oool again until October!

o

I am asking the same question. I live in MA and my evening primrose has been beautiful for the past several weeks. However they are beginning to look a little spent. Should I try to trim them up now for continual bloom throughout the summer (it is barely June). they are supposed to bloom throughout the summer but mine are already looking a little rangey (sp). BTW it won't be oool again until October!

o

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here