Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Astilbe Glut - still a good one

aachenelf z5 Mpls
11 years ago

I don't pay too much attention to Astilbe listings because although I like them, I really don't want any more. Glut is the only red I own. Maybe I should check out the other ones available, but I'm not terribly motivated since this has been such a good plant for me.

I divided this plant 2 years ago and its back to at least 2 feet across and about 2 feet high. It gets sun until around 3 PM and if kept watered, I don't have any problems. If not watered, total crisp by August, but it does come back the next season. The flower heads remain attractive even when the blooms fade - kind of a bright reddish rust color. A lot of people think the plant is still in bloom.

So are other reds worth checking out?

{{gwi:241776}}

Kevin

Comments (3)

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    11 years ago

I have a "Visions in Red" and I like it although I think I like even better the colour and airy nature of the flowers of your Astilbe "Glut".

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    11 years ago

Kevin, here is the 'opposite' coloured Astilbe ;). I snapped this pic on the weekend. As I recall this is "Ellie" and it was planted late last season so these blooms are its first for me:

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh my! That is lovely.

I think you're right about both of these. I really do seem to prefer the airy looking ones. I have the purple Visions and even though I do like it, the flowers are very densely packed together - a completely different look and feel.

K