Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jacob's Ladder

Posted by Glen4sure 7a (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 19:17

This is the first time I grew this plant and very pleased with the outcome. I did not realize how much care it needed. It loves water! I ended up putting some soil granuals that held water around the plant and extra mulch and it was worth the effort.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jacob's Ladder

That's pretty next to the hydrangea. My Jacob's Ladder is a lot taller, around 2 1/2 feet - I make sure to deadhead it because it tends to reseed everywhere.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 19:51

I really liked mine when I had it, but it wasn't long-lived, a couple years at best. Who knows why. The variegated variety petered out on me even sooner.

o

Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 19:52

Well, actually I got a good 3-4 years out of the regular Jacob's Ladder, but still...

o

I have a terrific sterile (long blooming Lambrooke Mauve....but otherwise, they do seem to be gone in a flash.

o

Mine certainly has been around for a number of years and shows no signs of decline. I give it a lot of sun, so maybe that makes a difference - who knows.

Kevin

From Garden plants

o

Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 20:40

Kevin - that is gorgeous!

o

Mine looks like Kevin's, just not that large a clump. I also had a white flowering one but I think I weeded it out. They might not be long lived but they reseed readily, so make sure you know what the seedlings look like so you don't get rid of them all.

o

I grow P. reptans; they are native here and they reseed vigorously throughout the shade garden. I cut off most of the seedheads now to slow reseeding. Years ago I had a P. caeruleum and I'd love to find another.

o

I tend to deadhead as soon as the flower heads are no longer attractive to me. I didn't find a single seedling this year which is kind of a bummer because I wanted some.

Kevin

o

Thanks for the comments and advice. I do want more JL. Do I let reseed in the bed and grow there?

o

Let them reseed and then move them to where you want when they are still small. I would still deadhead the majority of the flowers though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here