Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brunnera problem?

Posted by gardenlady48 z5 IL (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 19:23

This is my second attempt in the past 5 yrs to grow Brunnera. This one started out great....east exposure, plenty of moisture....now what???? Darn!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brunnera problem?

Mine get like that some years; some years (like this one so far) they don't. Doesn't appear to have any impact on the health of the plants despite how ugly it looks. Mine are still showing up where I planted them back in 2007 so I'm just letting them do their (ugly) thing and hoping they eventually stop doing it.

Mine are growing in full shade on the north side of my house. My guess would be they'd perform pretty much the same whether planted on an east side or a north side.

o

thank you...I will just clip off the ugly leaves and hope for the best....

o

I grow a number of Brunnera, but Jack Frost has never done well for me. Try another cultivar.

o

Here's a thread that may be useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread on Brunnera foliage of various varieties

o

One small partially browned leaf is a big problem?

I only grow the plain green-leafed unimproved Brunnera and enjoy the long season of blue flowers until mid-spring. Then the foliage disappears (for me) into the general sea of green in the shady border and I don't pay much attention to it, even though dry hot spells eventually cause some leaf edges to brown.

It's a favorite perennial. I like how my one plant has morphed into at least a dozen through reseeding.

o

its a recent transplant ...

and from what i see... its the oldest leaves on the plant...

that were sacrificed during transplant shock..

simply remove them ...

after transplant... always focus on the new growth.. if that is growing with vigor.. then it means it settled in.. and going about its business ... yours look fat and happy in this regard ....

never fear.. to remove older leaves ... and when you do.. you should study the plant.. to learn.. how to ID the oldest leaves ... its how they are attached to the base of the plant .. in most cases

now.. if the new growth looked like that... then you would have a problem ... eh??

ken

o

Ken...u r extremely helpful! Thats the kind if help i look for on this forum. Thank u so much for sharing your knowledge with me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here