Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsox_gw

Favorite blue perennials, really blue

redsox_gw
14 years ago

Often I see plants sold as blue but they are really purple. There are blue delphs but they won't grow here. I got penstemon 'electric blue' this year, only a few blooms so far, but they look pretty blue.

Any blue campanula or other blue perennials? I'm going to try some larkspur (annual) hoping it will reseed too.

Comments (71)

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I looked on the link and didn't see it. thanks though.

I just went outside and looked at it again and it isn't true blue but is bluish lavender/periwinkle in color. I remembered it being true blue but I was wrong. There was a forget me not right there for comparison.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    14 years ago

-redsox, I know what you mean! It annoys me to no end when some place states that a plant has 'blue' flowers and they end up a dark purple. Didn't they learn their colors in pre-school?

I am just commenting on plants I myself have grown and found to be a 'true blue'. Not sure if you are looking for a deep, medium, or light blue?? I am sure several of these have been mentioned, but I will just throw them out there again.

Ajuga- Bugle Weed. Several interesting cultivars. The variegated kinds do not spread as fast for me. Deep or med blue.

Anchusa- Bugloss. I bought one last year. Wonderful deep blue flowers. I thought I killed mine, but it is up.

Aquilegia- Columbine. Lots of blue kinds/cultivars available. Make sure you buy one in bloom. I have often bought one only to find out later that it wasn't the right one.

Aster frikartii 'Monch' is a light blue. I would compare it to perriwinkle. I also have one, A. tongolensis 'Wartburg Star' that is a bright med blue. Great little Aster.

Brunnera of course. Sky Blue color, brighter than forget-me-nots.

Campanula- many kinds are blue. My C. 'Blue Uniform' (Uniform Blue) is a medium blue. Great mounding little plant.

Centaurea montana- Perennial Bachelor Buttons. They are indeed a deep blue. They can look a little 'purple' from far away, but up close you will see the petals are blue.

Corydalis elata- the blue Corydalis. Mine is just going to bloom. It bloomed last year, but this is my first full year with it. It is doing okay, though the foliage is getting a tad yellow.

Echinops- Globe Thistle. I grow 'Blue Glow' and it is a true-blue.

Erigeron speciosus 'Azure Fairy'- Fleabane. LOVE THIS PLANT! It looks a lot like an Aster, but it much easier to grow. It has incredibly bright med blue flowers. Beauty!

Eryngium- Sea Holly. I only grow 'Jade Frost' (with variegated foliage), but I know most other Sea Holly are blue. Mine has really nice blue color that fades to silvery-blue.

Geranium (perennial). G. magnificum is amazing. Medium deep blue flowers. Simply amazing color; you could just dive into it!

Hyssopus officinalis- my 'Dwarf Blue' is the deepest blue you will ever find. I adore this plant. It stays small and tidy. Foliage stinks, flowers don't last very long, but that doesn't bother me. Great edging plant. It is one of my favs. Also an herb.

Scabiosa- I have several unknown kinds. One looks like 'Butterfly Blue' and the other similar to 'Deep Waters'. Both are a light blue.

Linum- Blue Flax. Good medium blue color with blueish colored foliage to boot. Great for a filler plant.

Nepeta- Catmint. My N. subsessilis has beautiful true-blue flowers. Med deep blue. What a hardy plant.

Lupine. I have a cultivar called 'The Governor', which has deep blue flowers with some white.

Platycondon- Balloon Flower. I have one that I belive is 'Sensation Blue' or something like that. You will never find a bluer blue than this!

Polemonium- Jacobs Ladder. My 'Blue Wirl' is a deep blue. 'Brise d' Anjou' has grown well for me too.

Veronica 'Crater Lake Blue' has deeeep blue flowers. Doesn't bloom long. I am having foliage problems with it. 'Royal Candles' has deep blue flowers too. Great plant. Never fails me.

I also want to mention that the shrub Caryopteris (bluebeard) had dark blue flowers. And the bulb scilla, which has small dark blue flowers. Don't forget Pansy. ;-)

You can't tell I like blue flowers, can you?
    CMK

• janen
    14 years ago

Hydrangeas are true blue in acid soil and will turn purple or pink in alkaline soil but they are slow to change color.
    Bachelor Buttons - the annuals, and the perennial ones are true blue.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    14 years ago

I always forget some ;-)

Dracocephalum- Dragon's Head. I have 'Fuji Blue'. It is just budding now; this is my first full year with it.

Rosemary has blue flowers. Annual for me, might be perennial for you in a protected site.

Anemone nemorosa 'Robinsoniana'- Wind Anemone. Such a welcome sight in early spring! Medium blue flowers.

Campanula persicifolia 'La Belle' has double med blue flowers. Doesn't reseed.

Omphalodes- Blue Eyed Mary. Semi-shade plant with dark blue flowers. Flowers resemble Forget me nots but are larger. I have O. cappadocia 'Starry Eyes', which have blue flowers with a white edge around the petals. O. verna have fully blue flowers.
    CMK

• Carole Westgaard
    14 years ago

The 'hymalaian blue poppy' is the bluest I've ever seen. It's a little fussy and I'm not sure if it will work in any zone above 6. I don't have one but I friend in zone 7 does. Got it from Wayside I think.

My 'Princess Caroline' Iris is the bluest light blue in the whole world - it's breathtaking. I wish it would bloom all summer.

Westy

• kristin_flower
    14 years ago

Probably not suitable if it reseeds like a weed for you, but Heavenly Blue Morning Glory is blue. It's extremely easy to grow...maybe too easy.

{{gwi:4965}}

{{gwi:4967}}

• mo14564
    14 years ago

Baptisia australis (Blue False Indigo) is a lovely blue.

• omniphasic
    14 years ago

Salvias are definitely a good choice for a true blue.S.clevelandii is one of my favorite plants in my collection not only for its blue flowers but also for the intensely fragrant leaves.It requires very low water and a sunny spot,and the hummingbirds flock to it.Another favorite is Agapanthus 'Storm Cloud'.It blooms non stop and it's such an intense deep blue that you'll end up growing dozens due to its ease of care.Anchusas have deep blue flowers as well,and nearly grow like weeds here in California.A little shade in the afternoon suits this plant better and the blooms last longer I have found.I have Cyanotis trailing over the side of my main Succulent bowl,and it's truly an awesome sight seeing these deep rich blue flowers paired up with the other vivid blooms in this container.Blue blossoms are rare in the succulent world.I protect this mixed pot in the winter,and when this plant blooms I realize that it's definitely worth the effort bringing it into the garage each winter evening.(it must weigh 200 lbs.!)Lobelia erinus perennializes here in my zone,and I always have a pot of the rich blue 'Riviera Marine Blue' on my front porch during the Holiday months.
    Remember Bearded Irises have an assortment of nice clear blue flowers...every gardener needs to grow these plants.
    Lastly I'd like to recommend Felicias.There's a variegated one available now that just blooms all year with a nice clear blue flower.The leaves on this plant just enhance the blue flowers.Keep them deadheaded and they'll bloom all year!

• redsox_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have never heard of Felicias. I will google them. But where do you buy most of these? Locally or someplace like Plant Delights?

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

Thanks for correcting me on the hydrangeas, always get the acid/alkaline mixed up, don't have any but read about it.

• ego45
    14 years ago

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Gentian, color of which often used as a synonym for the 'true blue' -'Gentian blue'.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I have some Gentians and forgot them!

Love that morning glory. Never did get one here, they were all various shades of purple even though seeds and pots labeled 'Heavenly Blue'

I have purchased my caryopteris and pretty much everything else locally. I don't mail order many plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caryopteris 'Sunshine Blue'

• tennecil_6b7a
    14 years ago

How about Stokesia- Stokes Aster. Mine is in bloom now and a beautiful blue

• redsox_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Love the stokesia but mine is not blue. I have a lavender and a dark purple....both are fabulous, just not blue.

• PRO
    Kaveh Maguire Garden Design
    14 years ago

Salvia patens is my bluest blue but only hardy zones 8-10.

• tepelus
    14 years ago

Salvia transylvanica 'Transylvanian Sage' has pretty blue flowers. Probably not easy to come by, but I am planning on collecting seeds this year and will use them in trades. Here's a pic of it growing in my yard. Bee's love it.

{{gwi:241942}}

{{gwi:241943}}

Also, I agree with what everyone else has suggested above.

Karen

• beth_in_bend
    14 years ago

My favorite is Veronica Spicata 'Royal Candles.' I keep buying more each year! Here they bloom mid June to mid July and are in full glory right around the 4th of July. They are a true royal blue.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    14 years ago

Redsox,

I can definitely relate to what you are saying about the blues actually being purples and mauves. The photos of Karen's Salvia are an example... To me that's purple and not a true blue.

I do grow the Meconopsis Benotifolia in my gardens (from seed), and they are the truest blue I have seen in gardens. Unfortunately, I don't think your weather would make them happy. We have coolish summers which they like. Here's a photo...

{{gwi:241944}}

A close-up of the flowers...
    {{gwi:241945}}

I do have other blues in the gardens which come really close and are true blues as well. Anchusa - Common Bugloss, Cynoglossum - Annual Forget-Me-Not, and the Nikko Blue Hydrangea (we have extremely acidic soil...).

I also grow this viola, but it's not a big plant. Can't remember the name.
    {{gwi:241946}}

Here's Brunnera Jack Frost in my gardens. It reseeded itself and there's lots of little ones this year. :O)
    {{gwi:241947}}

• prairiegirlz5
    14 years ago

Wow Kristin! What a beautiful sight your morning glory vine is!! They're a favorite that I can't seem to grow.

Centaurea montana is indeed a reliable, true blue plant (heh) but the foliage looks awful in between bloom cycles. I have it planted with Phlox paniculata 'Laura' which blooms in the exact same vibrant magenta-purple as the center of the bachelor buttons.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    14 years ago

I cut the foliage to the ground after the first bloom cycle has finished.

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

tiffy, I ADORE that blue viola. I wish you could remember the name of it. Did you grow it from seed or buy it somewhere?

I just planted a brunnera Jack Frost, hope it self seeds, didn't know if it would multiply or not.

kristin, that is an especially stunning Heavenly Blue. It's got darker spokes in the flowers, not typical of the ones I've seen. I've never started any from seed, but a bird dropped a smaller blue one, it comes back every year, and I can't get rid of it. Maybe I'm finally rid of it but bet more seeds will sprout next year. It gets tangled in my forsythia bush nearby which I don't want.

One year I had it tumbling over a milk can, then allowed some to climb on my porch rails, went crazy. The only thing is that in really hot spots in the heat of the summer, they will wilt, and I have to quickly water them. Most people don't seem to bother with them, and they come back every year by self seeding once established. They do like sun, but that one looks like it might be part shade.

• prairiegirlz5
    14 years ago

Me too hostaholic. But it isn't pretty, nothing like Jack Frost brunnera. That's one I plan to look for this year. Although I do like the "quilted" look of the new buds, and did I mention the jet-black stamens?! What do you plant it with?

Thanks tiffy for the great pics! :)

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

tiffy, does viola panola true blue ring a bell? Parks has one that looks just like it except it sure looks lavender on my monitor :-(

Here is a link that might be useful: panola true blue

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    14 years ago

Aliska,

It came to me l;ast night - Ultima Morpho Pansy is what it actually is. The flower is small like a viola. Mine were seed and they came out with a lot more blue/less white than they are suppose to.

• hunt4carl
    14 years ago

Did anyone mention Lobelia siphilitica? A strong, vertical blue plant in late
    summer. . . and, if you can possibly get them going, Mertensia virginica is
    just the most electric blue imaginable in the spring. . . unfortunately, the bloom time is quite short, so we just stand around in the garden waiting for
    it to happen each year ! : )

My earliest "themed" section of the garden was a "blue" garden, and I'm still
    tinkering with it 15 years later. . . ALL blue that first year was just redundant
    and kind of boring . . . in subsequent years, mixing in a few whites made a
    huge difference in way the bed would "read" - but the real revelation came
    the year that I was wandering about the garden with a birthday gift, and just
    happened to set it down in front of my blue bed. WOW !!! The gift, in bloom, was a soft yellow hemerocallis ('So Lovely') . . . and it was the YELLOW that finally made my blue garden sing! You can overdo it, of course, but through all the seasons now, I try to have a bit of yellow (preferably a soft yellow) tucked in somewhere amongst the blues.

By the way, someone above dismissed the tender perennial salvias because
    they weren't hardy in their zone: a Salvia guaranitica is featured every year
    in the blue garden here (Z. 6b) - I just treat it as an annual. . .surely, a 5-foot explosion of purest blue (in one season!) is worth a couple of dollars each season. . .

Carl

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

tiffy, BLESS YOU. Ultima Morpho Pansy is what it actually is. The flower is small like a viola. Mine were seed

I was SO hoping you'd remember. Now to find some seeds. I see things I can live without, but those are so enchanting I want some so bad. Yes, I have other viola seeds to plant, but they pale in comparison to that, so what if they peter out in the heat (read you should cut them back by 1/2 in early June - maybe a little later in our zone)?

Do you remember where you bought the seed or which brand? I'll google, but one vendor's seeds may not be the same as another's. I was even thinking about asking you to send me some seeds, that should be ok from Canada, but not plants. Best I buy my own if I can find some, like 5 packets. But I don't have a clue how to save viola seeds, probably don't have anything you'd want in trade, problem crossing border anyway, I'd be willing to BUY seeds from you if there's no other way.

Googling now. Vesey's shows theirs as nice blue and yellow combo. Pretty but no. Big Dipper Farm, blue and yellow again, but more blue. Nature Hills. Purple and blue. No. They have another one called "Got the Blues", it has more of a face, but could settle as a substitute.

That's enough, more pages to sift through. Now I'm wondering if yours is a mutation, a very special one. Yours has just the tinest yellow eye but all else blue with the pretty, darker blue lines.

Back to earth. I just remembered my alliums, put tons in for accents. Mine is true blue, think I got those from Bluestone. Photo didn't lie for once but who knows what their next batch might be? The head isn't as big as some, could be my soil; my granddaughter is here visiting and just loves it. Mine aren't multiplying like they say they do. They last quite awhile but don't bloom all summer.

Also while I was putzing on the web, I found Blue Monkey Flower, mimulus, looked blue but think it's not for my zone and don't remember ever seeing any even in a public conservatory.

Pls forgive if already mentioned; we've got quite a compendium here now, never imagined there were so many true blue flowers. And the really crazy thing is if they come up with a true blue rose, I don't want it, love roses, but wouldn't seem natural to me.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Brunnera 'Jack Frost' can be divided (it does sulk for awhile though) and mine does self seed as well. So far, the seedlings don't have as much variegation on them but they are very small.

• rteets
    14 years ago

For a true cobalt blue, I have to go with pulmonaria "Benediction" Beautiful.....

• redsox_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tiffy, do you have any problem with rabbits? Because those violas are gorgeous but the rabbits ate every one I had this year.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    14 years ago

Aliska,

Vesey's is where I got the seeds from. I buy seeds from there most years. I can most certainly try to get seeds. Got to catch them just at the right time, so I'll see if I can get you a few.

Redsox,
    The rabbits are in the neighbourhood but have yet to step on our property. It's just a matter of time... SIGHHHHH. I think they sense my Black Lab.

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

tiffy,

Vesey's is where I got the seeds from. I buy seeds from there most years. I can most certainly try to get seeds

Prepare for one of my longish ones - :-) or :-(, take your pick. I figured you got them from there because I saw a photo, saw you were somewhere in like Nova Scotia, and some were blue and yellow whereas others were all blue (morphed back?) (customer photo). So maybe you just got lucky.

So I found Veseys in the US, hardly anything to choose from, none of those whatsoever, so went to the Canadian site, put some in my cart along with a couple other things, went to checkout. It wanted a catalog? code also Canadian zip code. Now I'm seriously worried.

so I'll see if I can get you a few.

That is soooooo sweet of you. But NO NO NO and here's why.

I found the Canadian 800# and called, was told there was no way they could or would ship to the US. Something about the border inspection (I have bought lots of roses from Pickering but they do have some kind of pre-arrangement with the border people). So I asked what if a friend (not thinking I'd ask you but somehow some way) went there, bought them and returned with them. The lady said that I/they would be taking their chances and would risk having them confiscated, not sure they would, not sure they wouldn't. They do have Americans come through to buy things, maybe have an actual store and not just a website. She didn't want to tell me the exact location though, thought that was odd, oh well. I told her I did not want to do anything illegal.

So my heart kind of sank, and I started looking in the US. One place only sells live plants, too late for that anyway. Then I googled and started going down the list. Some were just info-type sites, some no photo, some wrong color, checked davesgarden.com. One vendor. Checked that, can't remember why that wasn't a good option.

I finally found some at Swallowtail seeds, same price as Veseys (kind of expensive), and no reduced price for buying at reduced price by the 100's.

So I major splurged and ordered 6 packets of that and two other things. I needed some insurance to try germinating different ways; usually I don't order that many even if I want a lot. They will probably self sow for me if I get them going in some spots conducive to it, plus they are listed under perennials and not annuals.

If I get lucky and get some plants, I'll be happy enough if they are blue and yellow, and maybe some will revert or whatever yours did, think it's a good chance for that. The photo was just like the one I saw at Veseys I think.

Then if I get some blue ones like yours, I'll try to find out how to save the seeds, and either keep the others or try to plant them in separated areas of the yard for accents, borders and planters, I know that won't guarantee color because of being hybridized but ups my chances.

So all is well for now. I have you to thank for introducing me to that beautiful flower!!!

To the poster about growing salvias as annuals, that is an option. It's not top priority right now, but I'll see how my blues go, how much space I fill w/this year's seeds (not doing that great) and keep that one in mind; money for seeds is a small price compared to some roses and stuff for the yard and garden I've bought.

• jbfoodie
    14 years ago

I have Penstemon heterophyllus and it is light blue. You can see a picture of it at Annie's Annuals by following the link.

Salvia Patens is a lighter blue version of the Black & Blue listed above. Mysotis has a range of blues. Now that I take a really good look at my garden, I realize I NEED more blues. Thanks for this thread!

Here is a link that might be useful: Penstemon heterophyllus Blue Springs

• arbo_retum
    14 years ago

I don't yet have the time to look through the MANY responses you've rcvd but i do want to offer that your zone will accomodate Ellen's Blue, the bluest of the buddleias that i have found (and have lost too many times to try again).It is not cobalt blue but is the most blue buddleia I have found. Blue meconopsis is stop-you-in -your-tracks astounding. Veronica Georgia Blue is a fantastic bright cobalt blue groundcover/erosion controller.Allium azureum are lovely soft medium blue and delicate; handy for tucking in with yellow leaved plants and conifers. Clematis Durandii and integrifolia are very blue/almost-blue.Centaurea ,hydrangea nikko blue.
    best,
    mindy

• nancykvb
    14 years ago

We have Echinops (Globe Thistle) that is quite blue.
    Also campanula 'Blue Clips', Catmint 'Walker's Low', German Bearded Iris 'Sea Power' and Columbine.

Nancy VB

• flowergirl70ks
    14 years ago

Veronica Sunny Border Blue.

• myloki
    14 years ago

Hardy and annual agereatums are a nice blue, too.
    So is Vitex (Chaste tree.)

• DYH
    14 years ago

Here's an echinops 'Ritro' in my garden this week. I love it, but it has been difficult to get it to a large size due to humidity in our zone. I think it would be even better in a drier zone.

Salvia 'Mystic Spires' is a very dark blue, almost navy blue. I'm still working on the best companion colors -- gaillardia 'Golden Goblin' is what I've placed beside it, but that's not yet in full bloom. Zinnias in pinks, green or orange look good, too.

Cameron

{{gwi:241948}}

{{gwi:241949}}

• livelsberger
    14 years ago

Nobody mentioned Caryopteris 'Longwood Blue' or 'Grand Bleu...' definite sky blue and azure blue flowers. Breathtaking!!!

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

The only true blue anythings I've ever grown are Forget-Me-Nots, Heavenly Blue Morning Glory and blue pansies. None of those are perennial though. Well, Forget-Me-Nots are biennial and self-seed.

• geoforce
    14 years ago

I feel that brunnera and pulmonaria are probably the best blues for spring bloom but one of my favorite summer blue perennials is a common weed around here, good old chicory (Cichorium intybus). It is a gorgeous clear blue with wide open structure on the plant and is tolerant of really poor soil. Its only real fault as I see it is that like morning glories, it closes in the mid-day sun.

George

• ghoghunter
    14 years ago

There is also Blue Satin Hibiscus Rose of Sharon!
    Joann

• ontnative
    14 years ago

"buyorsell888", your small blue campanula is probably Campanula rotundifolia 'Olympicum'. I just love mine, and it is quite blue, but not very deep in colour. Your other "true blue" suggestions are many of the ones that I would recommend (for my zone anyway). This is a great thread. It's easy to forget how many different blue plants exist if you don't grow them yourself.

• bettyjo_florida
    11 years ago

Can anyone identify this flower? It's perennial (shrub?) here in Central FL. It's lobelia blue, blooms in Feb/Mar, mine is about 4' high. County agent identified (from a photo) as a Philippine Violet - but I now have a Philippine Violet & it's not the same plant. It roots easily and grows rapidly. Leaf is similar to salvia but rounder & larger than most of my salvias. Thanks..

• mistascott
    11 years ago

As mentioned, Italian bugloss (Anchusa azurea 'Dropmore') is true blue.

{{gwi:241950}}
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also, an annual north of Zone 8b but perennial in its native habitat, Evolvulus glomeratus 'Blue Daze' is true blue.
    {{gwi:241951}}
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

True blue: Delphiniums, Gentiana asclepiada(not all), many alpine Gentianas, Brunnera, Scilla sibirica, Bellevalia forniculata, Commelina(for very mild climates), Omphalodes verna,Centaurea triumfetti,some Corydalis. There are some rare blue Penstemons, but nearly all are ungrowable here. Plants approaching true blue: some Tradescantias. Iris sibirica Big Blue has a true blue nerve in the middle of the falls.

Have never seen a blue Campanula, and I had really many. Amsonias are pastel blue. None of Anemone nemorosa clones is true blue(I had them all).

• mistascott
    11 years ago

bettyjo, you will be more likely to get an answer for that pic if you post it in the "Name That Plant!" forum.

• mommy_montero
    11 years ago

My favorites are ceratostigma plumbaginoides, "Black and Blue" Salvia guaranitica and Salvia patens "Blue Angel". Both of those salvias are supposed to be annuals but overwinter fine in my garden without mulch. The salvia patens did better the first year, though. The plumbago is just awesome.

• jenn
    11 years ago

Bettyjo, that looks like Eranthemum pulchellum. We grow it on the north side of the house in bright shade. We have rich clay soil. It has been a very easy-care shrub with beautiful bright blue flowers and nice foliage.

• bettyjo_florida
    11 years ago

I think you're right - thanks so much. Calling it "the blue flower that grew by Mom's air conditioner" just didn't have the right ring. If anyone is in central FL and would like cuttings, it's available. Mine is on the SE side of the house in mostly sand, but grows extremely well.

• rusty_blackhaw
    11 years ago

This has been a really good year for Salvia guaranitica (it helped that the winter was mild enough to give overwintered plants a head start). My newly established varieties of Caryopteris (including a chartreuse-leafed one - "Jason", I think) have also performed well.