Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shasta Daisy Big but NOT blooming, no buds

Posted by nanaclaire 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 19:35

Is it too early for buds? I bought this plant I think 2 years ago. Last year I had no buds either. It is green and healthy and this big bigger than ever. I think it is already 3' tall. I included a picture of the plant. It is in FULL sun all day. It is the tall plant inbetween the two potted plants with marigolds. I just added the potted plants.

Anyone know why it isn't budding?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shasta Daisy Big but NOT blooming, no buds

Mine is just starting to show buds (mine is Crazy Daisy, though). Yours may do so soon. Give it time.

Karen

o

Mine just now have buds and we are warmer than you (earlier), I bet it's coming :)

o

Shasta daisy typically blooms in July for 3-4 weeks. All my plants, as well as my neighbor's, are up but none are blooming thus far. Generally, established perennials sited in ideal growing conditions know what to do and when to do it. Given the extreme cold this past winter, it wouldn't surprise me if they bloomed later rather than earlier.

o

Mine have not bloomed yet either.
I would give it more time :)

o

Thanks everyone! I hope I get buds! Last year I did not at all. Keeping my fingers crossed!

o

I did read that daisies in general don't typically bloom the first year so hopefully they will this year for you! :)

o

thegardenat902 is correct, at least as regards seed-grown Shasta daisy. I've never bought nursery-grown plants but my seed-grown Shasta's bloomed the second year.

o

waiting patiently :) Thanks ... that gives me hope! I should have been named daisy, I like them so much!

o

I've got only the species Leucanthemum x superbum and L. x superbum 'Crazy Daisy' which is a shorter, double cultivar. I love them as well and take delight in how the short, ruffly flowers pop in the mid-summer garden.

o

I agree- I wouldn't worry about it; it's been a weird spring on the blooming timeline. It looks like Becky daisy - I just noticed tiny buds today on my Becky daisies & I'm in a slightly warmer zone (6b). I am impressed with how tall yours are, though. Mine are about 8" tall now - usually mine are 2 feet before the buds show, but again, this has been an bloom season!

o

I had buttercream that bloomed profusely 2 summers in a row. This winter made them cry uncle and they are gone without a trace........ I miss em

o

We have BUDS!!! :) Happy Camper Here!

o

Yay!

Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here