Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Riding Hood Penstemon dying

Posted by tacotac 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 19:43

I bought 2 lovely red riding hood pentemons. I planted them along the garage with my rudbeckia, salvia, echinacea, etc....

I mulched since I planted everything. After the flowers were spent, I cut off the dead flower stalks. I heard they are supposed to bloom all summer, and it helps to dead head. Well, I noticed recently the leaves are turning a pale green color & the plant is starting to wilt. Some stalks have even turned crispy & dead already. The soil is moist, so it isn't dried out. What could be wrong with it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Riding Hood Penstemon dying

when did yo plant them

why not a pic??

ken

o

I planted them this spring. Sorry, here's some pics.
The pink stalky plants are them.

o

Here is what they look like now.

o

I don't know where you live or what exposure your penstemons have, but penstemons need good drainage, lots of sun and fairly dry conditions. I have mine growing on gravel in full sun with very occasional watering, and I live in New Mexico.

Cheryl

o

My guess would be soil is too moist or else retains water. Penstemons do best in well-drained soil. I have them in full as well as part sun, growing in healthy sandy loam and all are thriving.

o

My penstemons grow in sandy soil, full sun, gravel mulch. As Cheryl said, they need good drainage, and I killed a bunch I planted in average soil; it held too much moisture. I don't know if yours can be saved, but if they were mine, I'd move the mulch out of the way, dig them up, and plant them in a mound of sandy soil so they are above the surrounding soil, and mulch with gravel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here