Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david883_gw

Money Plant/lunaria question

david883
11 years ago

I got a bunch of perennials (I know this is technically a biennial) from a plant swap a customer of mine invited me to when she found out I had a new house/garden. The entire time, everyone told me that if something dies, no biggy - it happens. But everyone stressed how I should grab a money plant. So my customer friend grabbed one for me and it was doing GREAT! Until it started budding... the lower leaves began to die. As it began to flower... more leaves died off. I need some help here... is it okay? I thought maybe I should deadhead so energy stays lower on the plant but I wanted to collect some of the seeds. Is that going to even be possible this year? Any insight anyone has would be appreciated.

PS - I know it looks a little sad in the picture... I didn't get a chance to water anything this morning and it was very sunny and warm today. I think it will pick back up.

Thanks again everyone!

Comments (8)

• Carrie B
    11 years ago

I don't believe that the plant you have is lunaria. Regardless, planting it in the ground would probably be a decent first step, once you've figured out what it is enough to know if it needs sun or shade.

• david883
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Its not too late to plant it in the ground? I'm a little apprehensive because the last few things I put in the ground this late haven't done well.
    The tag it came with from the swap said "Money plant" and the leaves and everything looked identical to what I had... until leaves started dying off :(

• Carrie B
    11 years ago

It's never too late to plant in the ground, unless the ground is frozen.

The flowers do not look like lunaria to me, but they're hard to get a good look at from your photo.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

I have a lot of Lunaria in my garden and it doesn't look like that in bloom or after bloom. You might want to google images of Lunaria and compare.

That particular plant, regardless of what it is, has lost a lot of foliage, but it could still come back for you next year. Putting it in the ground is the best thing you can do for it at this point. Trying to take care of it in a pot all season has the risk of forgetting to water it or overwatering it and you could lose it. It's better off in the ground.

When I plant new plants, I baby them for a week. Water well, at the time of planting and give them shade until they have a chance to set in a little. I will put a lawn chair between the plant and the sun, or put an upside down milk crate over it for a week.

It would be difficult to identify the plant in that condition, so you might want to plant it in an out of the way spot that is part sun until you figure out what it is and can put it in the right place.

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    11 years ago

Could it be a Money Tree plant or Pachira aquatica? Google results only, sorry no info, I was just curious. See what you think, best wishes.

Disregard jade, which is also called Money Tree according to search results. Googled around then googled "picture Money Tree plant flower"

Money Tree as housewarming present, scroll up to top of page. Brings wealth and prosperity in new home!

• david883
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the info/help, everyone. I am going to plant it in the next few days and see what it does. Up until it lost all the leaves it looked like a "money plant" in one lady's yard. They said it got the flat silvery coin-like seed pods. Maybe if it didn't look like a stick in a pot of dirt, it'd be easier to identify hahaha! I'll re-post if I get any success :)

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

• terrene
    11 years ago

It doesn't look like Lunaria to me either. But it could be because it is shriveled up. I have tons of it. It reseeds VERY prolifically. Started out by breaking up a few "silver dollars" and scattering a few seeds in one of the woodland beds. That resulted in a few plants, and then those few increased rapidly.

This year I have taken to pulling up most of the plants before they go to seed so that it will only make a few hundred seedlings instead of a few thousand! Haha

Very pretty in the Spring.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I think it might be Lobelia siphilitica.

Not knowing where you are, or what zone, makes it more of a mystery. If you're interested in doing so, you can find your zone here. By including it in your profile info, it will show up next to your name when you post. It's also helpful to include your 2-letter state abbreviation since the same zone can be quite different in different states.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022