Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drexler_gw

What luck, I hit the mother load!

drexler
15 years ago

I got a phone call this morning at 9:30 from a friend. She and her husband were going to be doing all new flower beds at their new house and removing all the old hostas that the previous owner planted. I said "sure I'll be over in 30 minutes." When I got there (first time there) I was shocked! When she said her house had hostas, she wasn't kidding. I'll bet I pulled out around 20 full sized 10 year plants. It filled up the back of my pickup truck. I just couldn't believe she wanted them ALL gone. I did say I would take them.

After loading up I had to stop at the garden center. This definitely calls for some major supplies. I picked up 2 bags of mulch and 6 bags of top soil and off I went to plant my little heart out. Well, by the time I had divided the first plant, I started asking my neighbors if they wanted any. I managed to get rid of a 8 plants to people that had nothing growing out in front of their houses.

As noon turned to late afternoon, I had finished filling in all the holes that I wanted to fill in. But, I still had 1 big clump of hostas. What was I gonna do? I'd already given them away to everyone who walked by the house...

So I started walking further down my block and I found a very nice neighbor that was hacking and chopping a shrub down. She had no clue what she was doing. I stopped her and asked if she would like a few hostas and her reply was, "what's a hosta?" haha :) We began a very nice conversation and one thing led to another... (get your mind out of the gutter)

And, I was soon tilling the soil in her flower beds and raking the weeds out. She admitted that she wanted flowers before but didn't know how to even start. So she went and picked up some seeds she liked (wildflower mix and cosmos) and I planted them for her. I also offered her some sunflower seeds. She said she planted them a few years ago but they never came back.

All in all, I spent about 3 hours getting to know a neighbor that I had never met. We had a cup of coffee and it turned into a very nice evening. But now, when I'm out doing my jogging or riding my bike, I can go by her house and look at the planting I helped put in. :)

Ps... Anyone need hostas? I got um :)

Comments (4)