Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Neem Oil No Longer on Canadian Shelves

Posted by Dogg1967 4b Ontario (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 20:01

Well, I went looking for Neem Oil today as I've read lots of good things about it in fighting various insect issues. Found out that the stuff has been removed from Canadian shelves as of December 31st. So, I ended up buying some Greenworks Insecticidal Soap as something is chewing my Sunshine Loraine Heliopsis... Here's hoping the stuff does something positive in the fight against leaf chewing insects!

Also going to be proactive and try either the milk dilution or Baking Soda mix to prevent powdery mildew as that stuff invaded my poor Bee Balm last summer. We will see...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neem Oil No Longer on Canadian Shelves

That's really to bad. I use it on my plants and also on my dogs (mixed with tea tree oil) as a flea deterrent.

I'm sure you can buy it online if the other doesn't work for you.

o

Jeez, that sucks. I am in Ontario too and I was planning to go to the nursery tomorrow to buy Neem oil , because some small green caterpillars are eating my rose bush and insecticidal soap does not help.
Also, last year I had June beetles infestation on my red oaks - and insecticidal soap was useless on them too.
It seems like that only insects it kills are aphids….

o

Out of curiosity, why has it been removed?

o

Apparently Neem Oil was never officially registered as a pesticide in Canada.

o

Someone at the local garden centre suggested I ask owners of organic farms for some neem oil. However, you can find it as a skincare product.

There are links in the link below to two online suppliers in Canada. One company has a minimum order amount and the other sells it in large quantities.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neem Oil in Canada

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here