Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Foliage just pops

Many of us were impressed with miclino's "Little Honey Hydrangea".

Well today I took a shot of one of my "Aralia Sun King". It is quite hardy having easily survived this past tough winter.

The foliage is quite dense and not yet July 1st and this specimen has already grown to 3 feet in width and 2 feet in height.

It is in significant shade and it just glows as I hope the picture shows.

What perennials do you have that light up your shady corner?

This post was edited by rouge21 on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 7:15

Comments (25)

• miclino
    10 years ago

Rogue I was eyeing that at the nursery but it is expensive. Can you get the picture from further back so we can get a look at the whole plant? Thanks

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

It does provide interesting contrast foliage, but there is something about those yellowish-leaved plants that makes me want to strap an iv around them and forcefeed the suckers some nutrients...

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here it is miclino:

This picture is late afternoon, the only time when the whole plant gets direct sun. From 7 am till about 3 pm it is very much shade.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Nice! I really like gold and chartreuse foliage as long as it's healthy. The contrast between the bright gold or green-gold and a dark green just lights up the garden. My gateway plant was a gold Hakone grass, but I've since added a variety of gold plants throughout my gardens. I might just have to try one of these.

• miclino
    10 years ago

Now that is nice. I;m almost tempted to throw something out to make space for it!

• ontnative
    10 years ago

I have several yellow-green hostas that light up shady areas: Sun Power, Sum and Substance, August Moon, and Gold Drop. These are all older varieties. I'm sure there are many more newer ones available. I have a yew with yellow-green spring foliage, even a native elderberry with yellowish-green new leaves. If you like that colour (as I do), there are many choices that range from cheap to more expensive.

Original Author
    10 years ago

For sure there are many hostas that very much brighten up a shady location but I when I started this thread I was more looking to non hosta plants as there are some of us that are not as enamoured to the ubiquitous hosta.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 11:58

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

To get that color from a vine/ground cover, I love sweet potato vine. In z5 (pretty sure) you'd have the luxury of not worrying about where you put it, no permanent commitment, maybe good for a new areas waiting for perennials to fill in, to pep up CL fence. This color goes so well with purple/red foliage, they make each other POP, to my eye. I don't do much with plain green leaves.

Heucherella might appeal.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

This two are just doing a great job in this shady area. They are Leucothoe Rainbow and Bowles Golden Sedge. This can be a VERY wet area, as the rainwater runs into this area, so it can stand with inches of water until it soaks in. These two are not only taking all of the water runoff, but thriving here. This is their first year here and they haven't missed a beat, so far. So glad I decided on the Leucothoe for this area.

• dg
    10 years ago

Heucherella Solar Power has done well for me in bright shade.

• dg
    10 years ago

Creeping Jenny is bright yellow/green. I have it growing in about 3 hrs of afternoon sun.

• dg
    10 years ago

Athyrium "Lady in Red" is a pretty light green fern with interesting red stems.

• dowlinggram
    10 years ago

Dgregory--creeping jenny is a favorite of mine too but mine seems to be brighter than yours. I have it under a huge maple tree where it thrives. It really brightens up that dark space. The nicest thing about it is it's easy to control. I t's fairly shallow rooted. I just grab handfuls and pull then smooth out the rest and you'd never know I did it.

• boday
    10 years ago

May I suggest Lamium 'Lemon Frost' or maybe Lamium 'Anne Greenway', if you want yellow accents. And we haven't even got to Lamium 'Pink Pewter' or 'Orchid Frost', if you want silver.

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

Tradescantia Sweet Kate

I hope my pics show right side up.

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

Hypericum Brigadoon

This plant is two years old and still tiny. Has not "filled in quickly" as promised but I still enjoy it.

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

Pulmonaria majeste
    New this year from bluestone sale

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

I am with boday Lamium Lemon Frost is amazing. It literally glows at dusk and on cloudy days. Can't wait till fall to split it again...

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    10 years ago

I'm going to go broke if I don't stay away from this forum or husband might lock me up first. Oh no, maybe he'll kid nap my computer.

• boday
    10 years ago

Guy

Why wait to split it? It's Lamium, it roots easily As an experiment - take a small chunk and cut the tops off. Stick them into an annual basket, keep moist and in the shade. Right next to the rest of the Lamium. Three weeks and you're cooking. Or even just stick them in the ground next to your patch.

I'm messing around trying out L/F next to plants.

Lemon Frost - Obsidian, Green Spice, Peach Flambe, Gold Zebra and Solar Eclipse.

• socks
    10 years ago

Rogue, don't you just love those plants which help out that way? But I know how you feel, Gyr...when a plant looks yellow, you just want to "help" it.

This spring I've put in some Key Lime Pie heucheras and a few coleus. I'm surprised the coleus aren't doing too well, just sitting there not growing. I thought they were fool-proof.

Last February the euphorbia put forth a beautiful lime green bloom. I was so surprised, had no idea it would bloom then or like that. I was just glad for the greyish foliage. A few little seedlings have popped up, so I hope to snag an extra plant or two. Here's a picture from Feb. It's called Wulfenii Shorty.

{{gwi:242377}}

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

Patty -

I know exactly what you mean!

I feel like a plant fiend. Gotta plant them All!

Original Author
    10 years ago

and Solar Eclipse.

I am not a huge fan of heucherella but SE really caught my eye last season and I bought lots. They are all growing very vigorously this season.

• boday
    10 years ago

I've had Heucherella 'Redstone Falls' for a couple of years and am quite pleased with it. With the caveat, that the spreading hasn't happened. Trialing Gold Zebra this year, looks to need more sun than the dappled shade it has at present.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    10 years ago

Redstone Falls Returns and looks nice for me as well but no spreading here either. I thought this year it might. No luck yet.
    trovesoftrilliums- I'm happy some plants won't grow in zone 5