Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowering Shade Perennial

Posted by hawaiitropics 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 24, 10 at 20:17

Hello, I'm looking for a perennial that grows well and blooms most of the season in fairly heavy shade. If there is nothing that blooms most of the season, maybe some suggestions on stuff that can me mixed together for flowers all season. Thank you very much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowering Shade Perennial

What kind of space are you trying to fill? What about foliage with some color?

o

It is probably a 15' by 5' area. Colorful foliage is ok, but flowers are even better.

o

Astilbes are a fluffy type flower, Pulmonaria has flowers but mostly they are for the foliage same with Hostas and coral bells (Heuchera). Some thymes will deal with shade and they flower a little(like variegated lemon thyme has small pink flowers). Forget-me-nots(blue), Touch-Me-Nots(orange) and Columbines(pick the right one some are nothing to look at but some are really nice)
Siberian Irises might deal with some shade. Lily of the Valley, Solomen's Seal, monkshood, bee balm, bleeding heart, deadnettle(lamium),Jacob's Ladder, Lamb's ear, loosestrife, hellbore, foxglove.

Oh and I saw someone in my town who had an Azeala(hydrangea) in full shade FLOWERING!! I believe it was something like bright lights or orange bright lights-Manderin Lights that's it. They also have them in light pink, yellow and bright pink(the nursery here had them this year can't remember their names) and they have a light fruity smell.

Hope I helped some.

o

Lamium maculatum blooms all season.

o

Many of the hybrids of the native bleeding hearts bloom for a long time.

o

Almost no perennials bloom all season in our zone 5. And none that are what I'd call showy. For all-season color, I supplement my shady perennials with annuals such as impatiens and browallia, an underused and terrific annual.

o

alyciaadamo, that should be rhododendron, not hydrangea. Hydrangeas aren't related to azaleas, although there are many lovely ones.

o

Smilacina racemosa(unbeatable in all respects), Cimicifuga(all of them), Actea , Trilliums, Primula elatior, Geranium phaeum album, Podophyllum, Lilium martagon, Anemone nemorosa, Kirengeshoma palmata and koreana, Rodgersia, Brunnera,Uvularia, Disporum flavens, Gentiana asclepiada, Veratrum album and nigrum, Clematis macropetala, Clematis alpina, Meconopsis cambrica, Asiatic lilies(but fewer flowers), Oriental lilies.

Combination of all these plants will provide flowers through the whole season in heavy shade.

o

All the above plus Anemones will give you blooms in the fall, too. I have mostly Honorine Joubert, but there are lots from which to choose.

Astilbe really like moisture or they fry, even in shade. The ones near my bird baths do best because I dump the water every day when I put in clean. Hosta are addictive and I think I will never have enough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here