Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Because of aachenelf I planted a Mammoth

So after lots of mental planting over the winter, the plan began with the removal of an "Oso easy Paprika" rose about a month ago and today I relocated an established plant (an already finished blooming Candytuft) and then put in the ground a Mammoth Chrysanthemum "Dark Pink Daisy".

(For symmetry I will be planting another mum of some sort about 10 feet away).

Thanks Kevin for the idea.

Comments (27)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    9 years ago

I'm still waiting for the Mammoth mums I ordered to come it - hopefully they'll come soon... aachenelf should get a commission from the developer :-) I'm sure there must have been an uptick in sales due to his posts!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

May I ask why you removed the "Oso easy Paprika" rose; did it have issues or was it just in the wrong place?

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    9 years ago

Happy to hear you found one. Let's form a cult!

Because of my winter funk, I didn't order any mums this year, but happened to find a Mammoth Red in a nursery I stopped at. Of course I bought it.

We'll have to post photos this fall and compare the various colors. I'm curious as to what the other ones looks like and how they do for people.

Kevin

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nhbabs, in fact I removed two of these same roses to make room for 2 of Kevin's mums. I have 2 of these exact same Osos elsewhere and the ones I removed really didn't have enough space in this garden shown in the picture.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Thanks, Rouge.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

have..... joined..... cult..... too......

Wish I could say I only planted one though.
    Hopefully I'll have a few pictures to share come springtime if I can just convince the little guys to stop growing flower buds and get a little bigger first.

• flowergirl70ks
    9 years ago

Ha-My friend and I ordered in early March. They finally came a week ago. About an inch and a half high. These are mammoth??
    They will be growing in a pot. I complained and they refunded my money.

Original Author
    9 years ago

nhbabs

Here is one of my two remaining "Paprika" roses. In full bloom the past week.

• ryseryse_2004
    9 years ago

Flowergirl --- you got your mums and they were an inch and 1/2? What did you expect for $2 ea.? I received my order about 6 weeks ago and they are taking off like gang-busters. I have clipped off all of the buds and they have increased four-fold. I never would ask for money back if I receive healthy plants no matter the size. Shame on you.

Sorry - I have no patience for this type of thing.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    9 years ago

Ryse - I have to agree with you. If these were ordered from the source I suggested last season, it states very clearly these are rooted cuttings. If they were ordered from someplace else that didn't advertise these as cuttings, then there may be a case made for a refund.

In any case, the rooted cuttings will produce a nice sized blooming plant by fall. I may seem hard to believe, but they do. I've been ordering my mums like this for years. And as you stated, the price is certainly right.

Kevin

Original Author
    9 years ago

Kevin, my Dark Pink MM planted only 4 weeks ago is growing beautifully. It is now a foot in width and height...it has tripled its size. Already I am looking forward to Fall ;).

• DiggingInTheDirt
    9 years ago

I'm late to the party, so I'm not educated about these mammoth mums. But they sound fascinating. Can someone point me to threads with pictures and also the company to order from? Thanks.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    9 years ago

Looks good. Here's my Mammoth Red planted about a month ago.

{{gwi:242492}}

It's also about a foot across, but since I pinched it back in early July not as tall as yours. I think these should be really nice by September.

Kevin

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

Looking forward to seeing them in bloom :)

• catkin
    9 years ago

That foliage is beautiful! :off to look up mammoth mums:

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

I bought the mammoths and they're doing well. Buds are setting but not developing.... the plants just get bigger and bigger, so all's good!
    but (and I'm going to hold Kevin responsible for this too) the other mums I "needed" and planted just kept insisting on making flower buds. Being of the lazy kind, I decided I had better things to do than pinch mums, so after a while I let them go. Lo and behold they're blooming, and although fall might be a disappointment I'm pleased as punch right now :)
    Hope I don't upset anyone with this early taste of autumn.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

It's about 50/50 between plants that want to grow and others that just want to bloom.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

I'm going to assume they'll be on a better timetable next year.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    9 years ago

Kato

Some of my mums are starting to bloom too. I know mid-August isn't too early for some varieties, but I haven't had time to check which ones are early bloomers and which ones are not. I know they didn't bloom this early last year, but mums can be weird this way.

I think the last time I pinched was right before July 4th.

Kevin

Original Author
    9 years ago

Fabulous pictures 'kato'.

Kevin, here is my Mammoth that went in the ground 2 months ago as a very small plant (see my original post above). It is now so large. I measured it and it is 2 feet tall and over 27" in width! I may well have to re-position it next spring to accommodate its girth.

It is covered in lots of buds.

I will post a picture when it is in bloom.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

Yes, because of Kevin I too planted a Mammoth mum last fall - a lilac one. Which is now hot pink...

Funny thing, though - I prefer this new color it decided to morph into rather than the lilac color it was when I bought it. LOL!

• rusty_blackhaw
    9 years ago

I ordered 15 mum starter plants (mostly U. Minnesota-bred) back in spring, didn't get around to planting them for over a month and then forgetfully left them on a sunny patio in small pots before leaving on a week's vacation. Since the remote weather info suggested we didn't get any rain during that period I figured they'd be dried husks by the time I returned.

Instead they looked OK, and continued to survive further planting delays until I finally got them in the ground last month. Now they appear to be thriving. Tough plants.

I will have to look into this Mammoth line.

• flowergirl70ks
    9 years ago

RyseRyse and Aachenelf
    I just got back to reading this thread. It might be better if you didn't jump on people without knowing all the facts. the mums I ordered were not $2, they were $5.I complained because it took 3 months to get them. They offered to refund, I didn't ask them to.
    By the way, the plants I received are full of buds.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

eric- you're right in that mums are tough, I have a few planted in a crappy, hot, dry spot near a cherry tree. It's full sun most of the day, and although the lawn is completely dead, some bearded iris are dying back, and no weeds even bother sprouting, the mums still look ok. I'm sure they could be much better with care but for a no-maintenance planting I'm surprised at how much they can take.

Original Author
    9 years ago

UPDATE:

So the "Dark Pink Daisy" MM that I planted in early June (shown in the first post) has blossomed into a very large plant (over 3 feet wide and 2 feet tall). Here it is as of today:

Original Author
    9 years ago

My only other 'mum is "Matchstick". I have moved it 3 times in 4 years and in this location I am now starting to see the potential.

I trimmed it back multiple times this season with the most recent time in mid August and still it has given me some flowers.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Ohh, I like that "Matchstick". Think I will have to order it online as have not seen that one at my local nurseries.

"Twilight Pink" is still my favorite (originally bought under the My Favorite logo) Mammoth. I have found that it responds to taking snippets off with new growth much quicker than My Favorite Autumn Red.

Picked up a "Yellow Quill" last week and hope it survives in its new location. Previously YQ has gotten smaller and smaller each year until it disappeared.