Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Short Sunny Perennial That Wont Get Unruly

Posted by netcub 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 20:26

Ive got a large bed in front of my house with mostly hostas...about 3 of them are exposed to sun almost all day... Im looking for some recommendations for 12-14 inch perennials which will stay pretty tidy and not spread like crazy for this area. I think blues and purples would be nice, because theres lots of white and green in the background. Im open to yellows too... and reds... ;)

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Short Sunny Perennial That Wont Get Unruly

I have a low growing coreopsis that stays very neat. It seems to barely bloom, though mine isn't in as much sun as it probably wants.

o

Actually, I think the Royal Candles Veronica would be awesome there. It's a bluish purple. There are several threads extoling it's virtues right now. Really can't go wrong with them, they have a super long bloom time and always stay nice and neat.

o

Have found the dwarf, seed grown Kobold Platycodon or Balloon Flowers dependable in well drained soil They come doubled, in blue, pink and white and, while not all Summer blooming, they seem long lived. And what about repeat bloom, dwarf Daylily?

o

one of the smaller eryngiums? Pinks?

o

Stokesia laevis/Stoke's aster produces mid-to-late season ruffled blue flowers, has elegant foliage and meets your height requirements. You might also check out some perennial geraniums--there are several available that form low-maintenance mounds that are covered in delicate blooms in pink, blue, lavender & white. Polemonium/Jacob's Ladder produces blue flowers early in the season and is another carefree perennial but it grows a bit taller at 18-20".

o

Thanks for the suggestions!

o

Aster Blue Autumn, in the three years I've had it has stayed very short and heathy with pretty flowers. All thou I don't know what experiences others have had with it. So far Royal Candles has been taller.

o

Yellows? Someone say yellows? Check out Heliopsis 'Tuscan Sun' Should comply with your wish in the sunny spot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here