Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
usgirl

Lupines 5b/6; impossible dream?

usgirl
14 years ago

I love lupines but am struggling terribly to grow them although I purchase young plants every year. Does any one in zone 5b/6 manage to grow them and in what conditions? The ones in my UK garden are excellent so am I just in the wrong zone? ( I believe the UK is 8 or 9)

Comments (14)

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

Let's put it this way. I'm getting some to grow, poor germination but don't need but a couple in 3 spots, should have that but will try to move one, Sunrise, an annual, should still be time to bloom. Cute little second leaves.

I ordered some perennial seeds, Band of Nobles, from Thompson & Morgan. They're having a 40% off sale right now. It says zones 5, 6, 7 and 8.

I'm inclined not to winter sow those, am having reasonably good luck getting germination of last year's seeds in a gal milk jug w/top propped open in 3 inches of potting soil.

Wish I could tell you more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thompson & Morgan Lupin Seeds

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    14 years ago

They want acidic soil. With that, they can handle zone 5 easily. Without it, it is going to be an uphill battle.

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

I was going through a photo thread on the iris forum, and somebody in Chicago (cold breeze off the lake in winter) has a beautiful clump of purple lupin.

At the link that may possibly be useless, scroll down to post by carlos2180 Z5 Chicago, Wed. Jun 3, 09 0:05, it's in a sea of iris about the 4th photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris forum, sea of iris w/Lupin posted by Carlos2180

• gottagarden
    14 years ago

I'm in zone 5 b and they are the easiest thing to grow. I started with a cell pack of 4 for $1.25 5 years ago. They reseed themselves and come back more vigorously every year. I am always ripping them out or giving them away. I have slightly alkaline soil - 7.2. They are in full sun and good sandy loam with excellent drainage, being on a slight slope. For many plants, drainage is the most important factor.

I have them all through my gardens, but here are just a couple of photos. {{gwi:242619}}From 2009 Misc
    {{gwi:242620}}From 2009 Misc

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

I've found certain ones do better than others. I also have slightly alkaline soil so must be some kinds adjust to that better. The blue one in my pic is the most reliable perennial. It has been coming back for oh at least 5 years now. I have seeds if you would like some, let me know.
    {{gwi:230402}}
    Remy

• shpnquen
    14 years ago

Ohhhh, these are all so gorgeous! I have not ever tried Lupine before, but I haven't found them around here either. I'm in Z5 too & it sounds like I have the perfect conditions for them, except a location. How tall do they typically get?

• PRO
    Kaveh Maguire Garden Design
    14 years ago

Zone 5/6 is ideal. I had issues with them in plain old zone 6 (suburbs of NYC) but a bit north in the mountains they were great.

Very easy to germinate from seed (I think you have to soak the seeds overnight) but they do not like to be transplanted so I would sow them in peat pots and then plant those right out in the garden. Would always plant more then I wanted just to guarantee some would survive to blooming size and they tended to be fairly short lived as well. Lasting just a few years. But well worth the trouble. When their leaves come up in early spring they remind me of green hands pushing their way out of the earth.

• triciae
    14 years ago

When ripe, I just cut the entire flower stalk off & drop it on the ground where I want seedlings to take hold. I toss a bit of leaf mold over the dried seed head - not enough to cover it - just enough so it doesn't blow away. Then, I forget about it & the following spring there's always lots of seedlings. I haven't had much success with trying to grow them from seeds in pots. They germinated OK (not great) but I'd lose the transplants as soon as the weather warmed in July. My English neighbor gave me my starter seed heads & suggested I try to establish them as she's done for years in her gardens. After 5 years, I've got them pretty well established.

Cold isn't the issue with lupines. They're very cold tolerant but they seem to hate heat & humidity. I can grow them here at the coast but could never get them established when we lived inland 30 miles where mid-summer heat is higher.

We once took a driving vacation to Canada following the St. Lawrence up to the Gasape Peninsula, over to the Bay of Fundy & down the Maine coastline to home in CT. It was the first week in June & the fields of wild lupines are what I'll always remember from that trip...just gorgeous.

I've got acidic soil & our average July temperature is 81 degrees. That's very close to what our inland July temperature averaged. The difference is that here we're usually in the low to mid-70s in July punctuated by 2-3 days of in the upper 80s to low 90s that increases our average temperature; but we don't get those higher temperatures day after day as we did inland. Also, here we've got a thick marine layer most all summer (year around actually) making the sun less intense. As example, I can't grow tomatoes...not enough sunlight.

Anyway, if you're having trouble estblishing lupines...look at what's happening during mid-summer with their planting location. Plant them in a cool, partly shaded location with good air circulation, keep the soil moist (not boggy), & let Mother Nature plant them...just drop the entire seed head on the ground & leave them alone. I don't try to relocate the seedlings. If they come up where they shouldn't...I just yank those out leaving those that have room to grow. I don't exert a heavy hand in controlling where they grow. I let Mother Nature plant my lupines figuring She knows best where they will thrive.

• garden_for_life
    14 years ago

So which do they prefer - alakaline or acid soil? I think it sounds like people have had good luck with both, so not sure what to do.....

• pieheart
    14 years ago

I have a friend with lovely lupines. She lets them develop seeds, forgets about them, and they reseed everywhere. Even between pavers on her patio! I've never grown them myself before this year so I don't know if it's just her green thumb or if they are really that easy to grow. Hoping I'll have her luck next year!

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

I'm encouraged to try them for the first time, too. Re: lupines in Canada. Have any of you read the wonderful children's book "Miss Rumphius"? She was known as the lupine lady who scattered lupine seeds throughout the area in Canada where she lived. It sounds like the Casco bay could have been the inspiration for the book! If you have children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, godchildren or friends with kids, find the book. Then buy a copy for yourself!

Thanks for the chance to go back to a favorite time in my life.

idabean

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    14 years ago

Not impossible since I am in such a zone. I actually live where Triciae writes of in Canada and the fields and roadsides will be full of their blooms and perfume in about a week. :O)

We have acidic soil here and our summers are considered cool, not hot and humid as those further south. Well drained soil is another requirement.

I never buy them and just let Mother Nature play with my gardens a bit...

{{gwi:242623}}

• usgirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think that I feel mildly depressed to see and hear about all the successful lupine growing all around me!
    I am usually in the UK for July and August and so possibly my US garden does not get the care it deserves.
    I think that my heavily mulched beds might prevent the self seeding but I'm going to follow the advice given and lay the seed heads (if I get any, it's that bad!) under the mulch onto the soil. As this is the quintessential cottage garden flower in the UK, I am not going to give up. Thanks for all the input.