Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilsprout

Suggestions for replacements

lilsprout
9 years ago

I'd like to replace these hostas. They are huge! This is the first year they did really well since we had no late frosts. I have knock out roses behind them and now have to trim back the hosta leaves or the KO would be smothered. I have no idea what to replace them with and was looking for suggestions please.

Here are pics from different angles.....

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• lilsprout
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another

• lilsprout
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more

• yardenman
    9 years ago

I think there is no such thing as a "too-large" hosta, LOL! I have a few in the north bed that are easily 4" across this year (for the first time ever. And I love them.

• shadeyplace
    9 years ago

the KO roses should grow to be larger than these hostas.

• lilsprout
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not one suggestion?!?!

• thrills
    9 years ago

I think I would move the roses and leave the hostas.

Otherwise...how about small deutzia shrub like Chardonnay pearls. Baptistas--spring flowers then cut back for a mound of bright green foliage.

In that setting, I think lavender would fit in nicely with the bench and decor.

The hostas have a nice season long appeal. Hmmm, maybe heucheras?

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    9 years ago

I think I too would leave the hostas and move the roses!

I can't really make out from your photo where the roses are, but can you just move them back a bit? I'm guessing they are at the back of the bed? Perhaps just moving them a foot back or so, even if it means extending the bed a bit.... Or move the hostas forward a bit? Not much room for that though, is there.

How about take out one hosta on each side, and either center the remaining hosta with a nice groundcover, or replace one hosta with a plant. Heucheras or geraniums might work there, or coreopsis, daylilies, or maybe a small boxwood on each side for all-year interest.

Okay, I think I'm just flailing about here. Enough stuff off the top of my head!

Hostas do have season-long appeal, and if you can grow them in that much sun without damage then I would leave them there. But I'm a hosta nut (no such thing as too many variegated hostas, IMO!) so I admit to being partial.

Dee

• lilsprout
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Phlowerpower I really like that deutzia. Hmmmm

Dee I like the idea of removing one hosta on each side (no room to go back) and adding something else. Then I thought about the boxwood....

I did just plant candytuft in front of the bed. So keep that in mind when you look at this pic I came across (and replace hydrangeas with the KO and only singles lol) I like the layered look of this and the thought of controlling the size of the boxwood as the KO grows.

I could do the same with the deutzia? With another layer of color between those and the candytuft..

What do you think?

Decisions, decisions.....

• lilsprout
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They do make a statement that's for sure.

I've decided to take the suggestions from all, and leave them and move the roses.

Now where to put them? Hmmm

Thanks so much!

This post was edited by lilsprout on Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 20:08

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    9 years ago

Are you just removing the roses altogether, or will you be replacing them with something? Maybe something tall and eye-catching but somewhat narrow, like rudbeckia Herbstonne, or a bit shorter, like rudbeckia Henry Eilers or heliopsis Summer Nights (sorry, I can only seem to recall yellow flowers at the moment!). Or some tall lilies, if you don't have a problem with red lily leaf beetle. Although lilies do truly have a narrow window of interest, I suppose; I love them but on second thought would not have them as a single aesthetic element.

I have to say, I'm still thinking of some other kind of evergreen for winter interest....

I also wanted to say that I really love my deutzia, and just posted about it recently. I think you'll like it if you go with one!

Dee

• lilsprout
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dee I will be moving them...to where..I'm not sure yet. I usually plant some kind of a tall grass with annuals in the pots behind the hostas for some height. This year I just put in my (surprisingly) over wintered Bougainvillea. They are getting ready to bloom soon :)

I would really like to get a few deutzia, my beds are pretty much full now but I'm sure I could find a spot for them.

Thanks!