Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Royal Candles 2013

Last season the thread for "Royal Candles" was maybe the longest and most active of all GW threads in this forum (see link).

My garden is about 2 weeks behind in development as compared to last year and today I took a picture of RC coming into full bloom.

Okay show me your RCs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Love, Love Royal Candles

Comments (12)

• greylady_gardener
    10 years ago

beautiful pic. Last year was the second year for my 'Royal Candles' plant that I had received at a swap in 2011. After reading the thread and seeing how easy it is to propagate, I immediately went out and took pieces of it and spread it all around my garden, along with 'Eveline', which I had also received at the same swap The new plants are doing really well although not very big yet.
    I will try and get some pics tomorrow.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    10 years ago

Is it as vigorous a seeder as most veronicas if not deadheaded the instant the flowers start to fade?! :-) I'm on a campaign to rid myself of the last of various veronicas... I love the blue spikes but there were way too many of them in way too short a time! Peachleafed bellflowers (Campanula persicifolia) are my biggest eradication target this year - so pretty in bloom but gazillions of there out there at the moment!

10 years ago

---deleted double post.... Has anyone else been encountereing trouble accessing or posting here in the past two days?

This post was edited by woodyoak on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 11:27

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'woody', I have so many of these "Royal Candle" plants and I have not seen any evidence of reseeding.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    10 years ago

No reseeding here either, I dead head to keep them blooming till frost. I'm happy their so easy to root because mine never reseed and it really doesn't need dividing very often. My camera is giving me fits with accurate color but heres one with daylily flowers of sulfur. Daylily is continuos bloom.

10 years ago

Another with coreopsis Mercury Rising, which is a wonderful rich yellow. Forgive my photo of it.

10 years ago

Rouge, love your picture of RC some very nice other perennials in there also. Now a pic of veronica Hocus Pocus this veronica is dark purple same habits as Royal Candles.

• miclino
    10 years ago

coreopsis mercury rising is not yellow though

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'patty' the colours shown in the daylily pic are rich and wonderful.

I am glad you are having more success with your "Hocus Pocus" as I replaced mine with RC. I found my HP were not as sturdy as I would have liked.

10 years ago

I love the blue spires of veronicas and RC look like a particularly nice one but I'm too gun-shy of seeding to give them another chance:-) I do like some things to seed around but those that are too unrestrained about it become unwelcome. Deadheading is not such a simple remedy once you have mobility issues so I'm getting much more picky about what is acceptable. As I look at the front garden this year, I am begining to see the need for a major overhaul but am waiting to see how it performs for the rest of the summer before deciding on what direction it needs to take. I think a large part of it will eventually become a shade garden as things mature a bit more. Sun loving things like veronicas will probably peter-out on their own as the conditions become more shady. Change is an eternal part of the garden!

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

Looks like Patty meant to say Coreopsis Galaxy, not Mercury Rising. Love the combo of those together, though. Beautiful!

10 years ago

Your correct Galaxy, duh

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals