Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Note to self: Liquid Fence bottle leaks....

mxk3 z5b_MI
9 years ago

Do not wear cloth gloves when spraying!

(Um....yea that's me who stinks like something took a whizz on me...)

Comments (17)

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Eeeewww!

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    9 years ago

Yum.

I use Deer Solution which smells like cinnamon so even if I spray myself, it's not bad. (And it works - not one nibble on my lilies or my hostas and I am three blocks from the county park. There are deer everywhere.)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    9 years ago

Yeah, don't you hate it when it dribbles down your fingers every time you pull the trigger? Yuck.

Although, that's nothing to the time when the wind sprang up just as I pulled the trigger and the whole spray came back at me - on my clothes, in my hair, in my face, in my mouth. Ugh. I was at a friend's house/garden, so I had to drive home and then my car stunk for days. I swear, even though I took a shower immediately when I got home, I could smell it in my hair that night, and on my pillow the next night. Yuck.

I always joke that that stuff will not only keep the deer out of your garden, it'll keep *everyone* out of your garden! :)

Dee

• Ruth_MI
    9 years ago

I burst out laughing when I read this title. Just last week I had the nozzle portion pop out of my sprayer, under pressure, and coat me with the stuff. Lovely.

A2zmom - how long have you been using the Deer Solution, and did you use Liquid Fence before? I'd like to try it, but the deer are SO bad here (especially after one neighbor fed them during the winter), and I'm afraid to stop using Liquid Fence.

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

Ugh! I usually try to spray Liquid Fence when I'm about to take a shower anyway. That's mandatory afterward. But even worse if it's leaky or windy. Dee, LOL, that sounds dreadful! I bet the deer left your car alone though, right?

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    9 years ago

I've never used liquid fence. I used to use something else that made me gag until I was talking to someone who works at my local nursery (they are a huge wholesale/retail place so they know their stuff) and started using Deer Solution.

That was 5-6 years ago and I've never had a problem since. And I know the deer are there, I often see hoof prints in my mulch paths. I don't spray everything, just the stuff I assume they like so sometimes I get burned. One year I went out to dinner and my just about to bloom campanula was eaten to the ground when I returned. First and last time they ever touched that plant.

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

I've used Liquid Fence in the past - living close to the edge of an in-city nature preserve. Problem was exacerbated by an oldster in the neighborhood who constantly filled bird feeders. Time was I'd have to start the spritzing program as the usual deer targeted plants first started emerging.

Believe one of the coldest snowiest winters in our history must have seriously culled the herd since I've not had one in the yard so far this season. And I was on their regular dining route ultimately losing hosta, balloon flowers, lilies, day lilies, etc. I couldn't let the application program down - or the deer would get used to the product - never figured out quite which exactly.

For those of you in the middle tier of states - as far West as Wyoming and East to Ohio, Menard's has a good product called "Deer Stopper" which has a mint added to the usual Liquid Fence formulation. Less expensive, totally pleasant to use and as effective.

• DiggingInTheDirt
    9 years ago

My issue with using liquid fence is that the spray nozzle clogs between uses, and the only way I can get it open is to remove the nozzle and hold it under a strong force of water. My neighbor has the same issue, and it has happened with multiple containers. If it weren't for that, I would continue using it. But it just becomes too labor intensive.

I'm moving to wire cages and garlic pins with some degree of success.

• lam702
    9 years ago

Of all the deer repellents I've used, Liquid Fence is the most foul smelling, hands down. Deer Off works just as well but is not quite as pungent. I do find that Woodchuck Stop, the stuff in the red bottle, works for deer and woodchucks so that is what I use now. The smell is not bad either, has some cinnamon in it too.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    9 years ago

Deer Off! Yes, that's what I used to use. And you say Liquid Fence smells worse? Ugh. I'll stick to my nice cinnamony spray.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dee - that reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where somebody BO'd Jerry's car LOL!

I'll have to try some of the other products mention when I go through the Liquid Fence. It does seem to working, though -- haven't noticed any chomped-off coneflowers (the woodchucks LOVE those!) or worse - my beloved Oriental lilies!

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

Some awesome visuals here! Thanks for giving me a nice laugh

• HU-652216913
    23 days ago

The smell of liquid fence in my backyard is disgusting!! does anyone know if it will fade off???? if not ill be trash it!

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    23 days ago

This product (wireless deer fence) was discussed on a recent thread. I can confirm that it really works and teaches deer to avoid the entire area. Easy to use, easy to move around and very well designed. I also a range of deterrents to protect young woodies--Liquid Fence, hanging bags of Milorganite, and garlic clips as backup, but I know for sure that the wireless deer fence linked above will eventually be fully effective.

• sah67 (zone 5b - NY)
    22 days ago

The smell of liquid fence in my backyard is disgusting!!

Unfortunately, that's kind of the point in using it.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    20 days ago

I gave up on the spray bottle of liquid fence years ago and have always bought concentrated and put it in a pump sprayer. I also found that if i mixed it by the instructions it would clog the sprayer. I now mix with a touch more water and it still keeps deer and critters away and it does not clog sprayer. It helps with no dribbling down my hand which is gross! I have to spray so many shrubs/plants the pump sprayer is sooooo much quicker and easy on my trigger finger! LOL!

I have found it smells pretty gross for a day and then dissapates.

I try to spray in the evening after I‘m done working in the garden for the day.