Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miclino

Agastache Cotton Candy

miclino
13 years ago

Apparently my local nursery rates this for zone 5 so I am giving it a try. Looks nice so far although the color contrast does not appear to be as prominent as in internet pics but that may develop further. Should I deadhead?

{{gwi:242817}}

Comments (14)

• DYH
    13 years ago

I have four plants and it is my new favorite agastache! Mine were trial plugs sent by TN last September. This agastache started blooming in April -- very early. I deadheaded one and it caught up quickly with equally large and impressive blooms. Four plants makes quite the mass planting. It is fabulous with drumstick allium and perennial blue flax.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: Agastache Cotton Candy and drumstick allium

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    13 years ago

Cameron, what a stunning combo. I just love it!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Very pretty!

• mori1
    13 years ago

You might want to be careful, because I thought this was rated for z6 and it is. Maybe if you mulch real well come winter or perhaps take cuttings just in case.

• DYH
    13 years ago

Mori and i have the same understanding -- zone 6.

All agastache really need well-drained soil in winter. Don't cut it back in the fall, let the stems stand over the winter. Place flat rocks around the base. These heat up when the sun shines and help warm the ground around the plant. I do this with salvias when I'm pushing the zone.

Cotton Candy bloomed so early this spring and looks mature already -- started from tiny plugs-- only 3 inches high when I planted in late September. I wouldn't ordinarily plant any agastache in autumn, but that's when the plugs arrived. This makes me think it is a bit tougher than some other varieties.

Cameron

• miclino
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It did seem fairly vigorous. I put it in the ground and it just took off and started blooming. I'm thinking if it makes it through winter, I will get a couple more.

• echinaceamaniac
    13 years ago

I'm getting some of these! Wow.

I have Agastache 'Golden Jubilee' and I love it. This would be the perfect plant to go with it and all my other plants!

• DYH
    13 years ago

It blooms so early and so long, I like it with poppies, larkspur and several varieties of allium. It also looks good with purple foliage plants -- purple sedum, purple fountain grass, etc.

• miclino
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just checked the plant tag from Terra Nova and it states hardy to -23F. That would make it seem that they are claiming hardy to zone 5 correct? I can't imagine my local nursery would sell this in the perennial section unless they were told it was hardy to zone 5.

• DYH
    13 years ago

On their website, TN shows zones 6-9. Maybe they've decided it is hardy enough and updated the tags, but not the web.

Mine is doing great in spite of the 105 heat index yesterday. The temperature will be 101 today and that agastache isn't even flinching.

• MollyDog
    13 years ago

Cameron, I was so inspired by your pictures, I just ordered allium drumsticks to go with my cotton candy.

• miclino
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I didn't do anything special to protect this plant. Not even extra mulch. It is in a raised bed though. After a very cold winter without enough snow cover for protection this plant is coming back sooner than most plants I have! Quite a bit of growth already when even the crocus is just starting to bloom. So looks like this is hardy to zone 5 after all. This after transplanting it twice last summer as well.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

Thanks for the update! I'm always looking for hardier Agastaches.

• DYH
    13 years ago

My agastache 'Cotton Candy' came through another winter and the foliage is robust and looking great. Here, in my zone 7b, it will begin blooming in mid-April.

Cameron