Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa2004

June bloomers?

lisa2004
15 years ago

By the first two weeks in June my gardens are usually lush and green, but little is blooming. I do use some annuals, but they are still on the smallish side. Can anyone recommend a few good perinneals that bloom at this time (the longer the bloom time the better)? I was thinking maybe some types of salvia or possibly sage? Thanks for any recommendations. Lisa

Comments (15)

• tasymo
    15 years ago

How about Dianthus? Mine has been beautiful for the last two weeks. There are also lots of varieties in different colors and sizes. Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:242892}}

• gardengirl_17
    15 years ago

Depends on the color you are looking for but right now blooming in my garden are:

Coreopsis 'Zagreb'
    Callirhoe involucrata
    hardy Geraniums
    Clematis
    Asiatic Lilies
    Tanacetum niveum
    Hydrangeas
    Penstemon pinifolius 'Nearly Red'
    Coreopsis lancelota
    Yarrow 'Moonshine' and the light yellow one, whose name escapes me at the moment.
    Kniphofia

• thinman
    15 years ago

My catmint (nepeta, Walker's Low) is blooming like crazy right now, as are my siberian iris and chives. Dianthus and May Night Salvia are just starting for me and some peonies are almost ready to pop.

ThinMan

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

June bloomers depends on your location. I'm a zone 5 too, but my Dianthus are just starting to bud up, same with the Coreopsis and Yarrow. The things blooming for me right now are:

Penstemon pinifolius 'Compactum'
    Sedum kamtschaticum 'Variegatum'
    Geum 'Fireball'
    Geum 'Mango Lasi' (just about done)
    Aquilegia chrysantha
    Gaillardia 'Oranges and Lemons'
    Delosperma congestum
    Delosperma kelaidis 'Mesa Verde'

Tons of things are starting to form buds, but it looks like it will be July before my garden reaches its full glory this year. It's been a cool spring here though. I've been thinking that I need to plant more early bloomers too, so I'm hoping you get some good responses!

Bonnie

• bindersbee
    15 years ago

I would recommend that you take a trip to a local botanical garden where they will have the names listed on the plants. See what's blooming there and you'll know what will work in your yard right now. Bloom times vary somewhat by region, amount of sun and even which side of your house they are on.

• lisa2004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Some great ideas! I do have quite a few of the mentioned plants in other gardens around my yard and it's funny that some of those still haven't bloomed for me...and others have been done. Quite a few of the suggested plants (such as dianthus and catmint) are great plants, but way too low. I'm trying to post a pic so you can see the size of the other perinneals in this particular garden. In the very front there are nasurtiums (I realize these are annuals). I plant them every year, but in early June they are tiny. This is the spot where I need some color.
    {{gwi:242894}}

• psittacine
    15 years ago

In bloom here now:
    Centranthus ruber 'Coccineus'
    Clematis 'Etiole Violette'
    Clematis 'Niobe'
    Delosperma cooperi = Hardy Purple Ice Plant
    Delosperma nubigenum = Hardy Yellow Ice Plant
    Gaura 'Pink Cloud'
    Gaura 'Siskiyou Pink'
    Geranium 'Johnson's Blue'
    Iris pallida 'Variegata' (and a 'name unknown' huge white bearded one just finishing)
    Kniphofia Uvaria (Red Hot Poker)
    Penstemon barbatus 'Rondo Mix'
    Penstemon tubaeflorus
    Salvia nemorosa 'May Night'
    Scabiosa 'Butterfly Blue'
    Spirea 'Little Princess' (I know it's not a perennial but fits right in with them).

Starting in a day or two:
    Gaillardia 'Fanfare'
    Daylilies... I have many, many...The early bloomers most years would have been opening for a few weeks now, but this year because of the cool spring temperatures we had here in the high desert mountains of Utah, they're late.

Crystal

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Lisa...I am not clear on what size plant you are looking for. The garden that you have posted a photo of is very pretty, could you list what you have planted there? Is it a current photo? Are you wanting a perennial to take the place of your nasturtiums? Are they the plant that is right under the date in the lower right corner?

I have the same plants everyone else has already listed...what about a Shasta Daisy? They come in different heights? You feel the Walker's Low Nepeta is too short? Are you trying to add a plant in the front that is the same height as the plants in the back, or are you still trying to taper the height down to the front of the bed?

pm2

• lisa2004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I do plan to continue tapering down the height to the front of the garden. I planted the Nasturtiums again this year, but it always takes till mid July before they take off. As far as height, shasta daisys might do it, but I have them in my back yard and they are just starting to open. I don't know why, but those first 2-3 weeks of June seem to be such a problem. (The pic was taken last year). It seems that lots of plants people suggest bloom a bit later for me.

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi Lisa,
    Things that were blooming in the beginning to mid June for me are
    Veronica - gentianoides, Crater Lake, and Royal Blue
    Peony
    Roses
    iris
    daylily, a very early blooming yellow species type
    Tanacetum coccineum(Painted Daisy)
    Lychnis viscaria
    Centaurea Montana
    Alliums
    lupine
    poppies
    centranthrus
    verbascum Southern Charm
    baptisia
    columbine
    centaurea montana
    deutzia
    weigela
    The last two are shrubs, but come in smaller sizes good for a perennial border
    I hope this helps being I'm closer to your area,
    Remy

• weedlady
    14 years ago

In zone 5 I have spectacular delphiniums, Husker's red penstemon, lavender, lupines, Linaria purpurea 'Canon J. Wendt', Centaurea dealbata, lady bells, Lychnis coronaria, coreopsis, Campanula 'Cherry Bells'.
    Red hot poker, verbascum, & coneflowers ALMOST open; they & all above in sun.
    Astilbes just coming on in the shade.
    Since you are in zone 6, these likely would be "on" for you now.

• deeje
    14 years ago

Blooming for me right now:

peonies
    the last of the bearded irises and allium
    last of the forget-me-nots as well
    siberian irises
    baptisia
    salvias Eveline and Rose Queen
    gas plant
    penstemon Husker's Red and Rondo Mix
    heucheras of all sorts
    geraniums Brookside, Carol, Samobor, Philippe Vapelle, Orion, Max Frei, Vision Violet, Elke, Biokovo, New Dimension and magnificum (Rozanne and Midnight Reiter are a little later)
    veronica Crater Lake Blue
    ranunculus acris flore pleno
    silene dioica Valley High

My flowering shrubs are also all in bloom right now.

Campanulas and poppies are almost ready to go.

• deeje
    14 years ago

How could I have forgotten the catmint? Walkers Low is going gangbusters.

Oh, and columbine and chives too.

• tasymo
    14 years ago

I was just admiring my Red Valerian. It is blooming beautifully for me right now in Mid-Michigan. It is about 1 1/2 feet tall. I don't know how long the blooms last, since this is the first season it has fully flowered for me (it was a baby last Summer...)

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    14 years ago

tasymo, Centranthus ruber (red valerian) will bloom all summer if you keep deadheading. Mine also started blooming a few weeks ago.

Other plants that are blooming:
    Nepeta (catmint)
    Dianthus Arctic Fire (Bath's pink bloomed earlier and is already done)
    Penstemon Dark Towers (gorgeous plant)
    Gaura Passionate Rainbow (just started blooming)
    Achilea Coronation Gold
    Salvia May Night
    Geranium Johnson's Blue (almost over, although the fact that it has poured every day for three weeks in a row hasn't helped)
    Campanula Kent's Bells (Just starting)
    Lavendula Hidecote

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus