Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_house

Friend or Foe?

hosta_house
15 years ago

I was watering this evening and found this plant with a bloom tucked away in the back of the bed, I have no idea what it could be? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

{{gwi:242909}}

Comments (15)

• tasymo
    15 years ago

Looks like some kind of Lily- very cool leaves!

• greenhouser
    15 years ago

Could that be Solomon's Seal?

• anitamo
    15 years ago

Looks like a lily...maybe an oriental one. Not a Soloman's Seal.

• lindac
    15 years ago

Not oriental lily....andnot Solomon's seal.
    Linda C

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    15 years ago

Looks like false Solomon's seal as best I can tell.

• terrene
    15 years ago

Definitely not False Solomon's Seal, which I've got a whole patch of, and it's blooming right now. The blooms are totally different than your pic.

I'm curious what it is though.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

My guess would be lily - I have ones that look much like that. I have no idea what kind they are. It looks like the bud will be open soon and that will confirm whether or not it's a lily....

• greenguy1
    15 years ago

Definitely an Oriental lily. Looks like a young plant with a small bulb, the small ones tend to have the double-ranked alternating leaf arrangement, only when they get more mature and the stems get thicker are the leaves arranged all around the stem. It's a little surprising that it's blooming at this small size, but we love surprises. Bud is a dead giveaway as well.

- Steve

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    15 years ago

Looks like a lily to me, judging by the size and shape of the bud.

• phyl345
    15 years ago

i have no idea what your plant is ... HOWEVER ... i just spent the most glorious half hour touring your gardens ... they are beautiful! ... your design style is so very artistic & imaginative ... nothing *ordinary* or *common* about your gardens ... & you certainly know how to take the best pictures!! ... sigh, i'm feeling a smidge inadequate at the moment (grin)

thanks for allowing me in your garden, phyl

• hld6
    15 years ago

The bud is way too developed for Orientals which bloom in late summer (usually late July - August) unless it is Mona Lisa (an early summer bloomer), and it's even a little bit early for that. I agree with Steve's comment about the double ranked alternating leaf arrangement for young orientals - I see that all the time - but I am confused by how weirdly ROUND the leaves look.

However, Longiflorum - Orientals are at this stage of development now. I have young Triumphator whose buds look a lot like this one. I'll have to check on their leaves tomorrow - when it is daylight.

My vote is, if its a Lily (which will be confirmed soon enough) it's an LO.

-Helen

• hld6
    15 years ago

I'm changing my vote. I went out yesterday and even my very young Triumphator had leaves distributed around the stem. As Steve noted, that "ladder like" leaf arrangement is really prominent in orientals (especially L. Speciosum, their species parent) and the only oriental that could be ready to bloom in June is "Mona Lisa".

The picture looks a LOT like a lily but the very round leaves bugged me. So, I got curious to see if our poster had other plants besides lilies similar to this one. Double-clicking the photo takes you to Photobucket. Click on the album "yardpics", go to the third page, and there is a picture of a lily that looks like "Mona Lisa" and with the same rounder than usual leaves. (Maybe its the same plant last year.) The mature Mona Lisa I've seen has longer shaped leaves. (I like taller lilies so I don't grow it myself). I'll have to see if my mom has any young offsets so I can check the leaves.

My (amended) vote is the Oriental Lily "Mona Lisa".

-Helen

• MissMyGardens
    15 years ago

I finally just had to read this thread and now I feel like I'm waiting to see if it's a boy or a girl...LOL.

You've got to post a picture once your plant in question blooms! :)

• blueangel
    15 years ago

If you enlarge the photo
    the bloom is Definitely Oriental lily

Blueangel

• hosta_house
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for your input (damn Helen your good),since it's bloomed it does look exactly like the Lily on page 3 however I didn't know I had an Oriental planted in this bed, it's never bloomed there before in the 10 years I've been here? So do I have a Mona Lisa?
    Thanks again

{{gwi:242911}}

{{gwi:242913}}