Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crunchpa

Coreopsis

crunchpa
10 years ago

I grabbed this Coreopsis at Lowes without a tag. ID please.
{{gwi:243049}}From Tims

Comments (10)

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

You might get more information with a close-up of the blooms as well as the foliage. If it's a perennial coreopsis, it can have more than one foliage type. If the foliage is delicate, airy & fern-like, chances are it's in the threadleaf family (which might be C. lanceolata) while other types fall into the C. grandiflora category. I suggest you check out the pictures on Swallowtail Garden Seeds' website to see if you can match up what you're growing to any of the seed types they sell.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Swallowtail Garden Seeds

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

I agree with Gardenweed, hard to tell from here, but it very well could be Pineapple Pie Coreopsis. Has the right height, right color, that's about all I can tell without a closeup, but a good shot to be that one.

Lovely container!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Wow, what a gorgeous window! LOVE the color of the house, and the windowbox is just beautiful!

I know that doesn't help you, lol, but I just had to say that....

:)
    Dee

• crunchpa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will take another photo. I was not aware that some coreopsis was not perennial. It is a thread leafed variety. I had hoped to put it in the yard at the end of the season. It was among annuals on the rack I found it on. No tags on any of them.
    And thanks for the kind words and help.

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    10 years ago

I am going to guess salsa coreopsis. My Lowes sold them last year and labeled them as annuals. :)

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    10 years ago

So, carolinaflowerlover, would you say that they ARE annuals (in essence)? Did yours survive?

I like that color combination very much. From this distance it looks like a miniature gaillardia. But I have had little luck with any threadleaf variety surviving, except Zagreb.

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

I'll apologize for not commenting earlier & echo diggerdee--that's one gorgeous window box.

While there's plenty of horticultural information available on the Internet, I discovered when I really focused on my garden plants & design that what's out there online can be misleading, contradictory & downright wrong. Books were what helped me achieve my goals with far fewer missteps and mistakes. I subscribe to the 'one and done' school of garden design & haven't either the time or inclination to correct mistakes.

Best of luck to you with your garden.

• crunchpa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought someone may have seen it at Lowes and I agree it seems to be Salsa. Zone9. Too bad. I was hoping to place it in the yard. Its my first time with this plant and I hope it is a long bloomer. I have Lantana,Wave Petunia,Licorice plant,Red Spikes and annual Lobelia buried in there somewhere. I thought about poking holes in the liner and putting the Lobelia in front. I was afraid it would struggle. I think the Lantana and Salsa compliment the color of the house. I agree that threadleaf seems to fizzle over time. More luck in shade for me

• crunchpa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And Creeping Jenny

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    10 years ago

I didn't buy it since it was an annual, but I wish I had tried it. I did get coreopsis red shift, which is slightly similar but a perennial....but it doesn't have as much red and isn't as bright. I haven't seen the salsa this year. I hope yours survives! It is such a pretty flower. :)