Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebirdpeony

Thinking about ordering bulbs now

BlueBirdPeony
9 years ago

We get busy in the fall and always seem to forget. It looks like John Scheepers delivers "now" and doesn't wait until fall. Assuming that I go ahead and order them, should I plant immediately upon receipt or wait til fall? I genuinely don't think I will forget about the bulbs, but it would be easier to find time to plant them before we get busy in the fall.

Thoughts?

Comments (6)

• DiggingInTheDirt
    9 years ago

What leads you to believe that John Scheepers will deliver now? I plan to place my order within the next two weeks, but they have always shipped the bulbs in the fall.

• thrills
    9 years ago

From what I have read, they dig their bulbs in the summer but then sorting shipping, processing, etc takes time so you will receive your order in the fall.

Three years ago I did a late spring order from brent and Becky's bulbs, but they were summer blooming bulbs such as dahlias and lilies. Those did bloom the first summer after planting. But the spring blooming bulbs need to go into dormancy over the summer so they can be harvested but then be planted (before the ground freezes(:)
    in time to develop root systems before spring blooms.

I have also been mulling over the john scheeper's and van engelen catalogues. Drool!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

come on peony.. get your order in ... annnddd ....

have them delivered at the appropriate planting time ...

buying and planting are two different worlds ... and if you have to hold them.. why in your hot garage?? ... let them warehouse them perfectly.. until they ship them ...

i used to order hosta.. mail order... all winter long.. when the list came.. you had to send the money ASAP to secure the rare ones ... first money rec'd, got the plant.. all pre WWWeb ...

i did not expect a dec delivery in my MI ...

call them.. go old school.. and talk to a person about such ... most have 800 numbers these days ...

ken

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken-

Great idea. I'll call. Maybe they will mail late to me if I ask. You're exactly right, I didn't want them to run out of things.

Digging-
    I assumed because my catalog did not specify any delayed mailing. I just assumed that it would have a disclaimer if they were delaying shipment. Especially in today's, "instant gratification" world.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

If you read the info on the website (or the catalog - no difference), it very clearly states "You will receive your flower bulbs at the proper time for fall planting in your area."

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

Van Engelen, John Scheepers and Brent&Becky's accept orders already. I just placed an order this weekend.....I had told myself I would nor order anything...guess what? I lied. I asked John Scheepers to ship the bulbs in October so I can plant them before we go away on vacation in November.

I ordered fall crocus from B&B. They should arrive early for this fall blooming.

BTW, I have been waiting to see what the landscapers would do to those a few year old Allium Globemaster in Millennium Park in Chicago. They had removed old, worn out plants weeks ago leaving the beds messed up and the Alliums looking forlorn. This morning, all of them were piled up by the beds next to trays of annuals ready to be planted. So I asked one of the landscapers for the Alliums. They said yes! I stuffed the largest bulbs in my bag.

Lessons learned: always be on a lookout for landscapers and always keep a bag on you wherever you go. :-D