Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysideuphill

Need ideas for afternoon sun only spot.

sunnysideuphill
10 years ago

New to this forum, regular on Roses, and that is my problem. I love them and put in a rose garden a few years ago on the west facing slope on the south side of my house. 2/3 of the garden is great, but the uphill, easterly side of the slope doesn't get much sun until noon, since the slope rises up beyond my clearing, and the woods shades that side of the garden. The three roses I have there - Bremerstadtmusikanten, Abraham Darby, and Fragrant Plum - have stayed relatively small, compared to the roses in the sunnier portion of the garden. The FP, which went in last year, and is in the "best" part of the shady side, is twice as big as the other two.
The hardscape is almost done for the shade garden that will go on about 20 feet away from this side of the rose garden, with hostas, astilbes, some native woodland things - beyond that shade garden there are lovely ferns that are totally wild.
So -planning on moving at least BSM and AD, and need suggestion for a spot that gets lots of afternoon sun, but none until noon. That side of the garden will be the transition between the sunny rose and lily side to the hosta shade garden.
Prefer something that when it isn't blooming, has a nice shrub/bush/whatever. Prefer any colors except yellow, orange.
Zone 5, southwestern NH, slightly acidic. (the rugosa hybrids do great...as do the blueberries in the fruit garden).

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County