Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My New High Concept Garden -- 'Sink Ye or Swim Ye'!

Posted by jayco 5b NY (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 14, 11 at 21:55

I have too much of a lot of stuff, the sort of thugs that look beautiful but they choke everything around them to death with their super-aggressive spreading. I'm talking yarrow, sun drops, bee balm, rudbeckia, certain irises, lamium, clustered bellflower, etc. You get the idea.

So I created a new garden, which I am calling the "Sink Ye or Swim Ye" garden. Yup, I'm doing nothing for these plants. They get dumped, and then they're on their own. I'm curious to see what will happen. Well, I already have seen some of what happens -- namely that yarrow and sundrops and monarda and rudbeckia barely notice the change and are growing just fine in this lousy unamended soil which I never water (except when I first planted), never fertilize, nope, nuthin. Hey, I LIKE this kind of gardening!

So now I'm saving my beds for the more delicate flowers, and the thugs have their own playpen.

Do y'all do this already and I'm just behind the curve?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My New High Concept Garden -- 'Sink Ye or Swim Ye'!

• Posted by pippi21 Zone 6b Silver Sprin (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 15, 11 at 3:49

I must have my clustered bellflower planted in wrong place because it is very happy next to the shorter version of shasta and hasn't taken over. I only have two plants of it but have more seeds. I love that plant.Maybe I should sow those other seeds in the Fall so they'll bloom next Spring.

o

My yarrow are extremely well behaved. I long ago got rid of all A. millefolium cultivars and 'Moonshine', 'Terracotta' and 'Fireland' don't ever get thuggish. Of course, I NEVER let them go to seed.

o

I hope you'll let us know who wins. My money's on the yarrow.

o

My money is on the goldenrod. I have a couple of these gardens, and that's the one that always wins.

o

I don't have any goldenrod! I'm OK if the yarrow wins -- it's a really pretty dark purply-pink, so it can take over if it wants to. But so far the rudbeckia and sundrops are giving it a run for its money.

o

Early this spring we started a long border of thugs using the lasagna garden method. The idea was to put the spreaders & ramblers together to duke it out & not make more work for us, but less as we surrounded fruit trees & curved the edge for easier lawn mowing. Sure beats ducking under trees, uneven turf & curving around stump, so my guys are okay with it.

So far, so good... I know it's going to be a jungle next year, but since nothing is precious I can snip & tuck all I want to make it look presentable.

o

What you describe is pretty much my approach to landscaping. I baby them a little when they are newly planted but after that, they are on their own. I do have an overabundance of rudbeckias this year,but they are in full bloom and I have no complaints.

Becky

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here