Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizmn

Really BIG perennial suggestions?

momliz
10 years ago

I have a pretty big area in the back of the border which is crying out for a honkin' big perennial. I have some heliopsis back there but I'd love something else. Considering Centaurea macrophyla, but I have read it can get invasive. Maybe some Japanese anemone? Vernonia? a Eupatorium, or whatever they are called now. What do you suggest? Does anyone have a big plant that they like? Butterfly/bee friendly a plus...

Comments (20)

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Is this sun or shade? My first thought was Joe Pye Weed. It likes a moist spot, but can take some sun. Pollinators love it. It's great for the back of a bed.

Martha

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    10 years ago

I would second the Joe Pye, veronicastrum, rudbeckia subtomentosa, Henry Eilers. If you can give it enough moisture, Queen of the Prairie gets tall, but be aware that it likes to cover real estate. Molinia Skyracer is a big grass. Since I don't know what your
    sun/shade situation is you'll have to check out the conditions each of these need. Bugbane (actea), goatsbeard, thalictrum rochebrunianum.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

You could go through these for ideas, I have a couple flagged I'm considering...

Just be sure to note the zones for hardiness, and some are included in the section for width, not height if its height you are interested in ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: PDN - When size matters

• peony05
    10 years ago

Hydrangea Paniculata Limelight or Quickfire. They are not fragrant but their blooms last very long in your garden.

• boday
    10 years ago

How about Persicaria Polymorpha. Big and bigger all in one.

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

miscanthus sacchariflorus, (amur grass)
    stipa gigantea, (giant golden oats)
    crambe cordifolia (seakale)
    Macleaya cordata (plume poppy)
    angelica sylvestris purpurea 'Ebony Superior'
    arundo donax
    tetrapanax papyriferus (rise paper plant)
    gunnera manicata
    cenolophium denudata - (Baltic Parsley)
    Big Bluestem - andropogon?
    dahlia imperialis
    Lobelia tupa
    Eryngium pandanifolium
    kitabella vitifolium
    abutilon suntense
    althea cannabina
    verbascum bombyciferum
    ostrowskia magnifica
    meconopsis regia

• CottageintheCity
    10 years ago

I LOVE bog sage (Salvia uliginosa)! It's very airy, the most beautiful shade of blue, and attracts butterflys and bees galore. I looks so gorgeous swaying the breeze.

It will spread a lot if kept moist, but drier conditions keep it in check.

This photo is from my garden. :)

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

Centaurea macrocephala is not invasive, it is a polite clumper. On the other hand, Japanese anemone is a plant straight from hell. Majority of Vernonias will flop, there are several selfsupporting clones here, but none of them is particularly heavy blooming or attractive in colour.

• CottageintheCity
    10 years ago

Can anybody tell me why my photo is not showing? I'm pretty computer literate....and can't figure out why it didn't post!

I'm usually just a lurker. LOL

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

It shows a picture with plants against a whitish wall(fence?) for me.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    10 years ago

On the other hand, Japanese anemone is a plant straight from hell.

Maybe that is the hell in your neck of the woods. But in my zone 5 this plant is a integral worthwhile fixture of a late summer early fall garden. I find it easy to contain...more than worth the effort to get those wonderful flowers.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    10 years ago

I see that you mention already having some heliopsis but even so I will put forth the suggestion of "Lemon Queen". It can form a huge but well behaved clump that can easily get to a height of 5 feet and the mass of flowers is easily visible from a great distance.

• ghoghunter
    10 years ago

Another great big plant is a "Cup Plant" Silphium perfoliatum. It get really big and has small sunflower type blooms. Butterflies and polinators love it and the leaves for on opposite sides of the stem making a "Cup" for rainwater and the little birds love to take a drink!
    Joann

• momliz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for your suggestions! They are great. So now I'm leaning towards the Bog Sage, Salvia uliginosa, hoping that my average moisture soil will help it behave. I think it might be nice between my two clumps of Heliopsis. And I like its open, airy feel. But a Joe Pye weed is tempting, I'll have to see what cultivars are available. I have Cup plant around back and love it! It is a big guy, great coarse texture and those cups formed by the sessile leaves are very nice. As are the flowers.

Thanks again...

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

bog sage doesn't come into flower till October some years.....but that flash of blue is always welcome at the yellow end of summer.

• CottageintheCity
    10 years ago

The bog sage is great. Really easy to control. What you don't want you can pull up, and plant in other areas of your garden. I bought one little plant in a 4in. pot 2 years ago and now have 6 this size throughout my yard. both of these were little runners that I pulled up and replanted in this past fall.

• CottageintheCity
    10 years ago

The bog sage is great. Really easy to control. What you don't want you can pull up, and plant in other areas of your garden. I bought one little plant in a 4in. pot 2 years ago and now have 6 this size throughout my yard. both of these were little runners that I pulled up and replanted in this past fall.

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

in loose soil it can be a bit of a problem.....but so can a lot of things.

• momliz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

October? ugh, my research said summer into fall. still think I will try it, though. You're right about the flash of blue, campanula.

• marquest
    10 years ago

When I think of big plant I think of Ligularia Marie Britt or Hosta Sum and Substance, or a big Yucca. I do not understand big plants as a perennial that has a lot of one single stem plant. If that is what is needed for the area I guess you need tall plants for the back of a garden.

Really Big plant is a statement plant in my mind.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County