Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debstuart1

can I cut back bleeding heart yet?

debstuart1
15 years ago

hello

I have a bleeding heart in a small bed beside my house where there used to be shade but due to a fallen tree it's now pretty sunny. The bleeding heart has gotten HUGH and while it is pretty in earlier spring while it blooms, it pretty quickly gets too big for the space and overshadows everything else. I am used to letting it begin to yellow and get ready to go dormant before I cut it back later in the summer. But I would sure like to do that now and free up the bed.

What do you think? Would it survive?

Also...how does one propagage bleeding heart? I have other places I would like it better!!

thanks for any advice

Deborah

Comments (13)

• bullthistle
    15 years ago

It will die back on its own in time so leave it be. I have included a link to propagating bleeding heart.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

• lindac
    15 years ago

If you cut it back before it yellows off, it will come back smaller next year. The problem lies in deciding how early will make it smaller and how early will kill it.
    The plant gains mass from it's leaves. Cut the leaves back and it can't make food to grow....cut too much too early and it can't make food to live.
    Linda C

• tasymo
    15 years ago

If you want babies from it, let the seed pods mature and burst before you cut it back. The look like tiny green beans. Mine has babies every year and I give away the ones I don't need.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

leave it.. just before it is complete yellowed... and ready to disappear.. move it to a space where you can let it do its own thing ...

there are better times to move perennials..like fall or spring... the only problem is that you cant find them.. or forget to do it.. since they disappeared ... i have one plant i have been meaning to move for 10 years ... lol ..

mark the new spot very well .. as you might forget its there next spring .... or in fall you will plant some bulbs in the middle of it.. been there.. done that ...lol

ken

• enjoy
    15 years ago

I have done it all to my bleeding heart and here is my experience.
    If you cut back the very long branches and leave the remaining undergrowth behind it will look like a smallish greenish shrub (about 1/2 the size of the original) until it starts to yellow and die back on its own. THEN, cut back the rest.
    I cut back most of mine late last year all at the same time because it continued to bloom well into July (mine is in full shade though)and it did not flower well this year at all!
    As for moving it....be aware that it is MY experience that they have a tap root similar to lupins and you have to go deep when you move it. The less you disturb the tap root the better chance you have at having it come back again.
    That said, they are pretty hardy for the most part.

Good luck!

• gardengirl_17
    15 years ago

I find Dicentra spectabilis easy to propagate. The crown of the plant is very brittle and most any decent size piece of it will survive if transplanted it. This Spring I moved a very large white bleeding heart that overshadowed one of my husband's favorite dwarf hemlocks. I split it into 5 good size pieces. Three are in my garden and two I gave away. All are doing well. The white one also puts out lots of seedlings for me.

• debstuart1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gosh,, thanks all for the different experiences. I am going to do the "cut half of it back" think and then the rest when it yellows and also take a couple of pieces of the crown and propagate. So...all advice taken in one way or another!!!

Deborah

• Happy2BeeME
    15 years ago

Does anyone have any pictures of the seedlings. I don't think I have ever seen any even though mine go to seed every year. I have never noticed any new plants the next year.

Thanks
    Karyn

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    15 years ago

I agree with everyone who said to wait to cut it back. But the simplest way to cover its yellowing foliage is to plant something bigger in front of it. Plant something that comes up late, so it wont cover the BH until its done blooming.
    CMK

• covella
    15 years ago

I planted a Lobelia cardinalis and a Platycodon right next to my Dicentra. Both those are inverted V shapes that widen out at the top so they cover what's below pretty well. I can already see I put them too close and they'll need to be moved before it gets worse but they do cover up the dying Dicentra foliage. In my half shade damp garden that Dicentra foliage hangs on forever - I can't wait for it to finally give up and go.

• dannie
    15 years ago

In my zone, the foliage stays alive all summer as long as it has enough water. It makes a nice shrub like plant. I do find the white bleeding hearts much sturdier than the pink ones.

• anitamo
    15 years ago

happytobeeme...I found this site that has a pic of BH seedlings.

Here is a link that might be useful: seedling

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!